sub-tidal surface sediment sampling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Scubamanny,

I'm not a diver, and the sample doesn't have to be like a discrete core. Your blended bag idea sounds appropriate. It's not very deep water, so I don't mind getting in the water and sampling by hand - I just need the right equipment/materials. I want a method that is quick and easy and will allow me obtain about 500g of surface sediment (top 1-2cm of substrate, plus any surface detritus). Coring would just be too tedious and time consuming, but I also don't want to lose any sample while trying to get it into a bag or container.

I look forward to any suggestions you may have.

Cheers,

Eric

How much areal coverage are we talking about here?

Hi Archman,

From previous scrapings at low tide, I only needed to scrape an area of about 20 square cm (~1-2cm depth, plus whatever surface detritus was there) in order to obtain my desired 500g+ of sediment for substrate analysis. So, if I were to use some sort of shallow coring apparatus with a diameter of ~5cm, then I guess I'd need to take perhaps upto 20 cores to obtain a sufficient sample. I won't have to repeat this every time I collect modern diatom samples at my sites, so taking a several cores at each site may not be such a big deal after all.

Do you have a suggestion as to how I could quickly and easily obtain my desired samples?

20 square centimeters? That's the size of a single hand corer, and a teeny one at that! You sure it's not 200, or maybe 2 square meters?

Could you try a gravel vacuum siphon as used in an aquarium? of course you cant siphon up into a boat but a low pressure pumo like a 201 powerhead with a valve to control flow might do the trick. Let me know wha tyou figure out, sounds interesting.

Sorry I haven't been checking this forum recently. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice or showed some interest. I eventually found someone to construct a coring device (more like an auger) for me that I can use to get my required sub-tidal surface sediment samples. I haven't properly trialled it yet, but I'm sure it will do the job. This means I won't be relying on pumps or diving or anything more complicated than a long-handled tool employed over the side of a zodiac.

Cheers,

Eric

Back
Top Bottom