SubGear SG-1000 same as ScubaPro MK17/S600 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJSmith84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I was recently checking out a few different regs and cam across Sub Gear.

So my questions is;

is the SubGear SG-1000 same as ScubaPro MK17/S600 ??

They look alot alike.

Has anyone used the SG-1000?

Scuba pro

s600.JPGmk17.JPG

Sub gear

sg-1000.jpgsg-1000-1.jpg

Aside from cosmetics, I am pretty sure they are the same regs inside, though I am not sure if the SG1000 has a metal air barrel in the 2nd stage or not.

Aside from cosmetics, I am pretty sure they are the same regs inside, though I am not sure if the SG1000 has a metal air barrel in the 2nd stage or not.

i think you are right-

From what i have found out looks like the sg-1000 is an updated cayman model that got great reviews.
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/60second-scubalab-subgear-cayman-regulator

A SG-1000 is a Scubapro MK17/S600 with a different cover and a thermo-plastic barrel instead of a metal barrel on the S600.

They changed the S600 to a metal barrel so it would work better in very cold water ( 36 degrees or less ).

The thermo-plastic barrel is lighter weight, so it is perhaps more comfortable in your mouth.

The SG-1000 only comes with a 30 year warranty, instead of limited lifetime on the Scubapro.

I dont plan on doing any ice or real cold water diving so i think im good.

and judging by the reviews the Scubapro MK17/S600 reviews get- this seems like a no brainier on an easy way to save some $ going with the subgear sg-1000 and getting a proven regulator that has been liked for many years.

I also want to thank Casey over at Beaver Divers for taking the time and explaining the difference with regulators that subgear and scubapro offer.

Last edited:
The old Cayman was a S555 with a MK-17 so it makes sense that this would be equivalent to an older model S600. The old Bonaire was an R395 with a MK-17 and finally the Aruba was a R395 with a MK-2. I have seen Caymans on sale for $265 or so which makes them an excellent deal. The adjustment knob can always be added latter.

I just certified a family of 3 and they all purchased the SG-1000. All of them used their new regs on a group trip with me and they were all very happy with their purchase!!

From what I have been told by my LDS, Subgear is owned by Scubapro and is where SP moves their old gear to be sold for cheaper, and thus extend it's shelf life. One example an employee gave me was the Subgear 3 gauge console. Also, if you take a look at Subgear's masks you will find a Sub Vu, as opposed to the Crystal Vu that Scubapro sells. Surprisingly, they look exactly the same :shocked2:. So it is more than likely that the SG-1000 is an old Mk17/S600. I would suspect it is the old model with the plastic barrel.

I just certified a family of 3 and they all purchased the SG-1000. All of them used their new regs on a group trip with me and they were all very happy with their purchase!!

I am glad they are happy, but newly certified divers are not usually the best at judging regulators due to their limited experience (usually with crappy rental regs).

---------- Post Merged at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:07 PM ----------

From what I have been told by my LDS, Subgear is owned by Scubapro and is where SP moves their old gear to be sold for cheaper, and thus extend it's shelf life.

Is your LDS a Scubapro dealer? I have never heard such a story. If you look at Scubapro's product line you will see that they usually keep their products in production a long time, as in decades. Scubapro likes to brand itself as a high-end product but in this economy that means lower sales as many consumers cannot or choose not to pay a high price. Subgear was designed for budget-conscience customers so the dealer has something to sell them from Scubapro rather than selling them a product from another vendor, or in the case of platinum dealers (who carry nothing but Scubapro) nothing at all. Even a"old" Mk-17/S600 is an excellent regulator for warm weather diving.

^

Yes, my LDS is a Scubapro dealer and they told me this a while ago so I may have lost some details...or they could have been simplifying the situation as to not confuse me as a new diver. After a quick look around Subgear's website I found that the are owned by Johnson Outdoors. This company also owns Scubapro, so Johnson could have paired the companies together (one high end and the other a medium-low end dealer. I assume that the companies have some sort of agreement when it comes to re-marketing Scubapro products. Subgear's products are just too similar to those of Scubapro, I would imagine that SP would be suing Subgear if there was not an agreement established.

Once you realize the way products are manufactured, branded and marketed today and you become comfortable with buying the in-house off brand you might want to start considering other manufacturers as well. ScubaPro follows the old strong armed tactics of MRP. They do this to protect their high end margins. Yet they understand revenue management and so they create the off brand to get those customers who won't pay that much for a reg.

LeisurePro (no longer sweet deals since they were assimilated) offers the SG-1000 for $539. The mk17 a700 is $759. They have to make a couple tweaks to show a difference to convince people to go up to the name brand. But for me, the Edge / Hog Epic/D1 combo is $220 is every bit comparable so it's a no brainer to me.

Once you realize the way products are manufactured, branded and marketed today and you become comfortable with buying the in-house off brand you might want to start considering other manufacturers as well. ScubaPro follows the old strong armed tactics of MRP. They do this to protect their high end margins. Yet they understand revenue management and so they create the off brand to get those customers who won't pay that much for a reg.

LeisurePro (no longer sweet deals since they were assimilated) offers the SG-1000 for $539. The mk17 a700 is $759. They have to make a couple tweaks to show a difference to convince people to go up to the name brand. But for me, the Edge / Hog Epic/D1 combo is $220 is every bit comparable so it's a no brainer to me.

Please stay on topic.
I wasn't asking about hog in this thread. I have another thread I started about hog if u want to talk about it there.

Thanks.

Also from what I find out is u don't get ur parts for life with the subgear. Guessing this is why the cost is cheaper too.

And yes I know how the parts for life deal works with scubapro. Seems like a great deal to me since u need get them serviced each year anyways. Just have to weigh the parts savings vs the cost.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom