SubGear SG-1000 same as ScubaPro MK17/S600 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The old Cayman was a S555 with a MK-17 so it makes sense that this would be equivalent to an older model S600. The old Bonaire was an R395 with a MK-17 and finally the Aruba was a R395 with a MK-2. I have seen Caymans on sale for $265 or so which makes them an excellent deal. The adjustment knob can always be added latter.

I think the older cayman now is the sg-500. ? But I could be wrong. I didn't look into it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Please stay on topic.
I wasn't asking about hog in this thread. I have another thread I started about hog if u want to talk about it there.
Also from what I find out is u don't get ur parts for life with the subgear. Guessing this is why the cost is cheaper too.

And yes I know how the parts for life deal works with scubapro. Seems like a great deal to me since u need get them serviced each year anyways. Just have to weigh the parts savings vs the cost.

I think it is on topic. Sure, you ask one thing but I know what's on your mind. You are wondering how you can get good stuff and save money. You might want to ask a few ScubaPro owners what they really think about that parts program and whether it's really needed to service every year. The other reg that you don't seem to want to hear about suggests every 2 years and makes the parts and training readily available to it's customers. Oh and at a fraction of the cost you could just use and abuse them for several years and replace them and still spend less.

One big advantage of scubapro is their availability of worldwide support. Can any scubapro service subgear brand officially? If so, I think it is a great deals. 30 year warrantty is practically lifetime. SP free part for life has many restriction, not something I would take into account when choosing new regulator

I think it is on topic. Sure, you ask one thing but I know what's on your mind. You are wondering how you can get good stuff and save money. You might want to ask a few ScubaPro owners what they really think about that parts program and whether it's really needed to service every year. The other reg that you don't seem to want to hear about suggests every 2 years and makes the parts and training readily available to it's customers. Oh and at a fraction of the cost you could just use and abuse them for several years and replace them and still spend less.

I'm a Scubapro owner with over a dozen sets, and I wouldn't care less about the PFL program, nor do I service them every year. Sure, then I have to pay for the parts, no big deal, their pricing is not out of line compared to the other brands.

Does HOG give the parts for free? I think not, but then I might be wrong. Any proof?

I am glad they are happy, but newly certified divers are not usually the best at judging regulators due to their limited experience (usually with crappy rental regs).

---------- Post Merged at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:07 PM ----------
7 PM ----------
y nothing but Scubapro) nothing at all. Even a"old" Mk-17/S600 is an excellent regulator for warm weather diving.

Is your LDS a Scubapro dealer? I have never heard such a story. If you look at Scubapro's product line you will see that they usually keep their products in production a long time, as in decades. Scubapro likes to brand itself as a high-end product but in this economy that means lower sales as many consumers cannot or choose not to pay a high price. Subgear was designed for budget-conscience customers so the dealer has something to sell them from Scubapro rather than selling them a product from another vendor, or in the case of platinum dealers (who carry nothing but Scubapro) nothing at all. Even a"old" Mk-17/S600 is an excellent regulator for warm weather diving.[/QUOTE]

Does HOG give the parts for free? I think not, but then I might be wrong. Any proof?

I didn't say they did. I said they make the parts and training 'readily available'. The first stage kit is $20 and the second stage kit is $15. They also have published schematics and make training classes available to technical divers. I don't expect the parts to be free, I just expect them to be available without pulling teeth.

I am glad they are happy, but newly certified divers are not usually the best at judging regulators due to their limited experience (usually with crappy rental regs).

---------- Post Merged at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:07 PM ----------
My students have a good understanding of how good regulators breathe. I have trained them properly and in good quality new gear. I had a chance to breathe off the regulators on a recent group trip to Cozumel and I was also impressed by the performance of the SG 1000.

^

Yes, my LDS is a Scubapro dealer and they told me this a while ago so I may have lost some details...or they could have been simplifying the situation as to not confuse me as a new diver. After a quick look around Subgear's website I found that the are owned by Johnson Outdoors. This company also owns Scubapro, so Johnson could have paired the companies together (one high end and the other a medium-low end dealer. I assume that the companies have some sort of agreement when it comes to re-marketing Scubapro products. Subgear's products are just too similar to those of Scubapro, I would imagine that SP would be suing Subgear if there was not an agreement established.

My understanding is Subgear was an independent company that used to sell dive gear in Europe, where they had a reasonable reputation. Johnson Outdoors purchased Subgear so the relationship is like that between Lincoln (Scubapro) and Ford (Subgear), for all intents and purposes they are the same company. Subgear sells rebranded Scubapro products.

^

Yes, my LDS is a Scubapro dealer and they told me this a while ago so I may have lost some details...or they could have been simplifying the situation as to not confuse me as a new diver. After a quick look around Subgear's website I found that the are owned by Johnson Outdoors. This company also owns Scubapro, so Johnson could have paired the companies together (one high end and the other a medium-low end dealer. I assume that the companies have some sort of agreement when it comes to re-marketing Scubapro products. Subgear's products are just too similar to those of Scubapro, I would imagine that SP would be suing Subgear if there was not an agreement established.

My understanding is Subgear was an independent company that used to sell dive gear in Europe, where they had a reasonable reputation. Johnson Outdoors purchased Subgear so the relationship is like that between Lincoln (Scubapro) and Ford (Subgear), for all intents and purposes they are the same company. Subgear sells rebranded Scubapro products.

That is my understanding as well. So back to the OP. The SG-1000 is most likely a sold reg especially for warm water diving. However, if it is an Mk17/S600 plastic barrel than cold water diving could be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom