SubGear SG-1000 same as ScubaPro MK17/S600 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the older cayman now is the sg-500. ? But I could be wrong. I didn't look into it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

There is a problem with Subgear's website, the photos and descriptions do not match. Best I can tell from the photos.

SG 100 is a MK2/R295,
SG 500 is a MK11/R395
SG 1000 is a MK17/S600 (old style we think)

I think the whole line has changed since last year.

I just 3 weeks ago bought this reg.The Scubapro Rep.showed me the factory repair manuals for it & the Mk.17/S600 & YES they are the SAME reg!He also confirmed that any Scubapro Authorized Repair Tech CAN repair the Subgear UNDER Warranty.I dove the reg for the first time at Mukilteo T-Dock last week & it performed FLAWLESSLY in the 51 degree water at 122'!ABSOLUTELY couldn't be happier with it,especially considering I got it on sale for $329.00!!!

I just 3 weeks ago bought this reg.The Scubapro Rep.showed me the factory repair manuals for it & the Mk.17/S600 & YES they are the SAME reg!He also confirmed that any Scubapro Authorized Repair Tech CAN repair the Subgear UNDER Warranty.I dove the reg for the first time at Mukilteo T-Dock last week & it performed FLAWLESSLY in the 51 degree water at 122'!ABSOLUTELY couldn't be happier with it,especially considering I got it on sale for $329.00!!!

At $329 you got a bargain. Did you buy online or at an LDS? Do you know if the air barrel is plastic or metal?

That is my understanding as well. So back to the OP. The SG-1000 is most likely a sold reg especially for warm water diving. However, if it is an Mk17/S600 plastic barrel than cold water diving could be an issue.

Sorry but that is not correct. Many divers here have dived then in 40f water. I have had mine (MK25 which is not sealed - open piston) down to sub 50f waters. How cold do want the water?!?

At $329 you got a bargain. Did you buy online or at an LDS? Do you know if the air barrel is plastic or metal?
Bought all my new gear(Subgear "SG-1000",Galileo "Luna" AI computer w/Transmitter,SP "Knighthawk" BCD w/"Air II" SST)at my LDS which is an AD for Scubapro & Subgear.
I called the rep who sold me the reg.this mourning(who is the NW Region Sales Manager for Scubapro/Subgear)& asked him.His reply was that not only is the Air Barrel made from metal but so is the shaft housing!In addition he stated that the reg.exceeds CE Standards for cold water diving & IS CE Certified(obviously in the EU market) for such!Also in the EU market the recommended service interval has been extended to 2 years or 100 dives(whichever comes first).
NE_SSI_Diver:The SG-1000 is most likely a sold reg especially for warm water diving.
In the EU market,this reg is marketed & sold as a high performance reg.designed for cold water/harsh environments & has a reputation for performing as such.

beendiving :Subgear was designed for budget-conscience customers so the dealer has something to sell them from Scubapro rather than selling them a product from another vendor
...SG is not DESIGNED this way.It is designed & built exactly the same as the SP gear & is marketed & sold as such in the EU market!It IS marketed & sold that way here in the states for the reason you stated.

Last edited:
That is my understanding as well. So back to the OP. The SG-1000 is most likely a sold reg especially for warm water diving. However, if it is an Mk17/S600 plastic barrel than cold water diving could be an issue.

Sorry but that is not correct. Many divers here have dived then in 40f water. I have had mine (MK25 which is not sealed - open piston) down to sub 50f waters. How cold do want the water?!?

I have very little to no experience with plastic barreled regs so I was just going off of people saying that they can freeze and free-flow. I too have had my Mk25 to sub 50f waters with no issues. I wouldn't mind water a little colder than 43f, especially if I use dry gloves :).

I have very little to no experience with plastic barreled regs so I was just going off of people saying that they can freeze and free-flow. I too have had my Mk25 to sub 50f waters with no issues. I wouldn't mind water a little colder than 43f, especially if I use dry gloves :).

The consensus from divers who actually dive cold is that a MK-25/S600 is good to the high 30's. They prefer the MK17/G250V because of the sealed first stage and the metal air barrel in the second.

---------- Post Merged at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Bought all my new gear(Subgear "SG-1000",Galileo "Luna" AI computer w/Transmitter,SP "Knighthawk" BCD w/"Air II" SST)at my LDS which is an AD for Scubapro & Subgear.
I called the rep who sold me the reg.this mourning(who is the NW Region Sales Manager for Scubapro/Subgear)& asked him.

If the reg is still on sale send me a pm with the name of the dealer, at that price I may buy one to try out.

I know this thread is almost two years old but for those that read these things to extrapolate bits of info I add the following supplemental information...

I recently did my advanced cert at Mermet springs in July. The water temp at the 100' platform was 34° f. My reg was a MK2 with an R295. Zero problems. No change in breathing from the surface. The amount of time in 30's degree water was about 20 min.

From appearances the sg10 is basically the same set of regs as those used in my dive. I know that is not the set the op is about but my point is that if the "lesser" equipment performs well at depth and in cold temps then the sg1000 should like wise perform excellently.

My understanding from my lds (scubapro) is its all the same equipment with a different face.

I have an example of this happening elsewhere in the industry. Apeks makes the tx50, sells the same regulator to zeagle and it's the tech 50d, at the same time sells the same reg to beuchat and it's the vx10. Exact same regs with zero changes except the sticker on the purge button and the apeks A molded in the cover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom