Subic Bay in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jester

Reaction score
It looks like I'll be in Subic Bay during the month of August, 2004. I've done some searches, and although it looks like Subic isn't the ideal place to dive in the Philippines, I won't have the opportunity to visit any of the other locations. Can anyone provide a short list of dive ops and their contact info?

Salamat!

Jester:
It looks like I'll be in Subic Bay during the month of August, 2004. I've done some searches, and although it looks like Subic isn't the ideal place to dive in the Philippines, I won't have the opportunity to visit any of the other locations. Can anyone provide a short list of dive ops and their contact info?

Salamat!

If you can get a weekend off, you can go to Batangas and join us. that would take subic to manila 2.5 to 3 hrs then manila to batangas 3 hrs. thats 6 hours from subic. maybe less as the highway from subic to manila is nearly fixed for wider roads. good for you.

you can do this if you take a service from subic to manila, and from manila to batangas a nother service. i can book a van for you from manila to subic, the cost one way would be 1,600 pesos (3,200 routrip manila batangas)

Subic vis is rather murky. August is still moonsoon season so the sea may not be that calm.

email me if you need more info, i'll see if ican get them for you.

(That's how we talk here in Texas)

Thanks for all the info.

Looking forward to diving in the Philippines. It's the first place I ever dove (Discover Scuba at Club Paradise - Palawan). It'll be nice to dive in the PI again now that I have a few more dives under my belt.

Thanks again!

Hi Jester,

Good to know you'll be visiting this august.

Check out the ff sites, they'll give you some info on Subic.

http://www.divephil.com/subic
http://www.master-dive.com/

I went diving there 3 weeks ago, we went to ScubaShack, they charge about USD28 for 2 dives w/equip then you give the DM a tip. It was raining really hard that day and the water was dark brown at the surface but it cleared up below 25ft, the viz was not crystal clear but it was good enough to see the wrecks. It's mostly wreck diving in subic btw. We dove the LST, nothing much there except for the really big grouper that stays there. The other dive is the El capitan, a bigger wreck, longer penetration. They say the best wreck is the USS New York but we weren't able to dive it because the viz was bad. Another thing, if you plan to dive in Subic, it's best to stay there the night before because the best viz is in the morning and generally gets bad later on. You can get a room at the boardwalk which is just in front of ScubaShack, the rate is about USD30/night. There are other hotels inside the base with various price ranges or you can stay just outside the base in olongapo. The trip from Mla takes about 3hrs each way if you have a car, longer if you take the bus.

If you have another day to spare, you can do a day-trip in Anilao, about 3hrs also from mla. There are a lot of dive resorts there where you can choose from. We usually go to AquaReef or Outrigger-ScubaWorld. The day trip includes 2 dives plus lunch, they also rent out gears. From there, you can decide if you want to dive around anilao or take a longer boat trip to Puerto Galera.

PM me for more info. I have a mla-based DM-buddy who's accredited in those shops, he also organizes small dive groups that you can join, he can also help you in your transpo, they usually depart mla early in the morning and return to mla in the evening. perhaps he can help arrange your dives.

Good Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom