Subic's Secret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google is your friend... :cool2:

"Subic" was derived from the native word "hubek", which means "head of a plow". The origin of the name was a by-product of altruistic colonial enterprise.

On a bright day in 1542, Juan de Salcedo, the able Spanish conquistador and dashing grandson of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, founded Subic while collecting tributes in the area. The town's name at that time is Hubek. How this name was changed to Subic is the stuff of persistent legend. It tells of Salcedo's mispronouncing "Hubek" as "Subiq". By the time of the American occupation of Subic, the Yankees mispronounced "Subiq" into "Subig".

Later on "Subig" became "Subiq" again, but the letter q - apparently of Spanish origin - was replaced with letter c, hence the name "Subic".

Subic.Com : Official Website
oh pak you're so smart...

it makes me tingly all over...

Jag

Learn something new every day, thanks!:confused:

Not even close, Titan Triggerfish are docile compared to what I'm refering to, guess again, or better yet court your favorite DM in Subic to get the scoop. It's no fun spilling the beans just yet, going to keep you in suspense a bit longer.

Those darn OCCUPIERS....I bet they were sent by the DECIDER!

ooh, a bull shark? I was thinking a 'cuda...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom