Submarine ID e-type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverfrank:
go to u-boat.net

Thanks, but it seems to be a good source of information about WWII era subs (especially German) but there isn't much about the E-class.

Is there a site like this for British subs too?

R..

Diver0001:
Who can tell me anything about how to positively ID an E-type sub?

R..
Aloha
US E-type subs. 135 feet long. First US sub with bow planes. Only two built 1911. Torpedo tubes 4, all in the bow

Great Britain E-type subs. 178 feet long. 51 built between 1912 and 1916. Torpedo tubes 4. 1 bow, 1 stern, 2 beam.
E9 and above torpedo tubes 5. 2 bow 1 stern, 2 beam.

How much more detail do you need? Or is it possible that its another nationality?
Turtleguy9

Turtleguy:
Aloha
US E-type subs. 135 feet long. First US sub with bow planes. Only two built 1911. Torpedo tubes 4, all in the bow

Great Britain E-type subs. 178 feet long. 51 built between 1912 and 1916. Torpedo tubes 4. 1 bow, 1 stern, 2 beam.
E9 and above torpedo tubes 5. 2 bow 1 stern, 2 beam.

How much more detail do you need? Or is it possible that its another nationality?
Turtleguy9

What I know from people who have already been on it is that it's 55 meters long. I strongly suspect based on the length that it's a British E-type. From the list of all known locations of British E-types I was able to make a short list of 3 candidates. Once I dive it I might be able to reduce that to two because one of the three ran aground and one of the three was mined. I also have a theory as to which one it is but I need something concrete. A serial number, for example. I'm going to take a scraper with me to see if I can find the painted number on the outside of the hull but I'm afraid it might be under the sand. I was hoping someone would know if there is a serial number stamped on it by the screws and where I can find a list of which serial numbers correspond to which boats.

R..

Could you give me a bit of the location of the wreck? I might be able to match somthing up with some of the older books I have. So far most of the E-class sunk I have found were the older E-1 to E-9 boats. Major differences between the older and later boats, would be the beam of the wreck. Older boats beam of 6.9 meters, later boats beam of 4.6 meters. Most seem to be sunk off Turkey.
Turtleguy

Turtleguy:
Could you give me a bit of the location of the wreck? I might be able to match somthing up with some of the older books I have. So far most of the E-class sunk I have found were the older E-1 to E-9 boats. Major differences between the older and later boats, would be the beam of the wreck. Older boats beam of 6.9 meters, later boats beam of 4.6 meters. Most seem to be sunk off Turkey.
Turtleguy

North sea. Not sure of the gps coordinates. Close to the island of Texel (North coast of Holland) I think.

Based on what I've found so far my best guess is that it's the E-17 (shhhh). If you have any information on this particular sub I'd be interested.

The other two candidates on my short list are the E-34 and the E-37. Any information to eliminate these two would be welcome.

I'll be sure to check the beam when I go. At which point should I measure it?

R..

grabbed this off the web for you.
it is a model of an e-type. but good representation.
all the links on janes fighting ships seemed to be closed today or I'd have gotten you a schematic diagram

hope this helps

John

The E-17 was discovered off the coast of Holland. It was not a war grave, as all crew survived. the conning tower off the wreck is on display at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum At Portsmouth. Check out http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/welcome.htm
Turtleguy

HMS E17

6 January 1916

Scuttled off Texel Island after striking submerged rock

Whilst patrolling north of Texel Island on Thursday 6th January 1916, HMS E17 struck an uncharted sandbank. Badly damaged the submarine was forced to surface. The Royal Netherlands Navy Cruiser Noord Brabant approached the stricken submarine to investigate. E17 believing the Cruiser was belligerent submerged, but owing to the damage was forced to surface again. E1 signalled the un-identified cruisers for assistance and her crew were taken off and interned. E17 finally sank at 1140 on Thursday 6th January 1916.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom