Submarine ID e-type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HMS E34

20/07/18

Lost In North Sea (unknown cause)

On the morning of 14th July 1918 HMS E34 left Harwich to lay mines off Vlieland. She was lost with all hands on the 19th. The exact cause of her loss is unknown.

Turtleguy:
HMS E17

6 January 1916

Scuttled off Texel Island after striking submerged rock

Whilst patrolling north of Texel Island on Thursday 6th January 1916, HMS E17 struck an uncharted sandbank. Badly damaged the submarine was forced to surface. The Royal Netherlands Navy Cruiser Noord Brabant approached the stricken submarine to investigate. E17 believing the Cruiser was belligerent submerged, but owing to the damage was forced to surface again. E1 signalled the un-identified cruisers for assistance and her crew were taken off and interned. E17 finally sank at 1140 on Thursday 6th January 1916.

oooohhhh. sounds like my theory is holding water (as it were). Got the X and Y for that?

R..

Turtleguy:
HMS E17

6 January 1916

Scuttled off Texel Island after striking submerged rock

Whilst patrolling north of Texel Island on Thursday 6th January 1916, HMS E17 struck an uncharted sandbank. Badly damaged the submarine was forced to surface. The Royal Netherlands Navy Cruiser Noord Brabant approached the stricken submarine to investigate. E17 believing the Cruiser was belligerent submerged, but owing to the damage was forced to surface again. E1 signalled the un-identified cruisers for assistance and her crew were taken off and interned. E17 finally sank at 1140 on Thursday 6th January 1916.

Well......

It's not the E-17. A found a site with the position of the E-17 and the boat we dove on was much further from Texel.....

That leaves 2 over.

It's laying pretty deep in the sand. The screws are burried about a meter under the ground but you can clearly see two screws and the stern planes. It looks like it was damaged from above somewhere between the tower and the stern. Depth charge?

It's laying at about 30 meters, The conning tower is gone!? and the stern torpedo tube is loaded. I don't know if this is was normal practice but the torpedo is still in there at any rate.

The guys took some things off just inside where the conning tower should be. Maybe once they clean it up we'll have more....

So. We're no further along except that we could eliminate the E-17 as a candidate.

R..

The conning tower of the E- 17 is on display at the the submarine museum, are you sure its not the same one?
Turtleguy

Turtleguy:
The conning tower of the E- 17 is on display at the the submarine museum, are you sure its not the same one?
Turtleguy

Yes I'm sure. The location was like 4 hous sailing away from where the E-17 is lying. The E-17 is lying right next to Texel, where you would expect it to be and the mystery boat is in the middle of the North Sea which is too far from land for a sub that ran aground..... In any event the conning tower of our mystery sub is in Den Helder (Netherlands). The conning tower of the E-17 found it's way to England.

I have another theory of which sub it is. It was clearly damaged on the top near the stern. Torn wide open. It's still clear to see.

At first I thought it might have been a mine but it turns out that one of the subs in my list got "run over" aft of the tower by another sub in bad weather when they were travelling together and sunk. The location of the mystery sub is almost exactly along the line they would have been sailing based on the orders they had.

this is the report I found

E36 and E43 left Harwich at 0730 on 19th January 1917 for two patrol areas off Terschelling. A strong north easterly was blowing. At 1126 just before they left the coast, E43 signalled to E36 to proceed independently. At 1330 E36 was on the port beam but was out of sight by 1500. The sea was running fairly high and at 1850 E43, having lost her bridge screen, eased to 5 knots and turned 16 points to fit a new one. This delay must have enabled E36 to overtake her, for at 1950 off the Haaks LV, E43 had just altered course to true north when she suddenly sighted a submarine 3 points on the port bow apparently steering east and only 50 yards off. The helm was put hard to starboard and engines full astern but E43 struck E36 aft from the stern, rode right over her and saw her vanish on the starboard quarter in the darkness. E43 went astern but nothing could be seen in the darkness and heavy sea. Nothing more was heard of E36.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom