SubSurface, Perdix 2, and Bluetooth Sync Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Perdix 2 and I'm a SubSurface user. I really appreciate the recent support for the new computer model. I have a Windows 11 laptop with built in Bluetooth. When I go to sync my dives with SubSurface, my dive computer doesn't show. I then BT sync my Perdix 2 to my laptop, SubSurface sees it, and it works fine. The problem arises the next time I sit down to sync my dives. I turn on BT on my Perdix, go into SubSurface, and it throws an error. It doesn't see my dive computer. I go into Windows BT devices, it's listed, but not connected. It doesn't give an option to force a connection. I have to delete the device and re-add it, which takes a few attempts of stopping BT and restarting it on the dive computer before my laptop sees it again. I don't have this issue with the Shearwater Cloud Desktop software, it just works every time.

Does anyone else have this issue? It's pretty annoying to have to delete the BT device and re-add it every time. Is the problem that the computer isn't automatically connecting to the dive computer when I start Bluetooth? Or is it a software issue with SubSurface not somehow initiating the BT connection? With the Shearwater Cloud Desktop software, I don't have to BT pair my dive computer to my laptop, it just connects when I click connect. Or am I just not doing it right within SubSurface?

I experience the same issue with Perdix AI/Windows/Subsurface, always takes me a few tries to get dives downloaded.

If you also have a smartphone, I have found it easier and more consistent to use the mobile version of Subsurface [edit to fix name] to sync my dives. Then my desktop pulls from the cloud.

The mobile version doesn’t have all the features, but does allow some basic editing and viewing. it can also be useful to capture notes for a given dive if you are doing a lot of dives between desktop sessions.

Echoing that… I’m on Mac and not Windows, but I’ve never managed to get Bluetooth to work from subsurface to Perdix, with multiple Perdixes and multiple computers. Subsurface mobile works fine (iOS) and similarly other apps on both iOS and Mac, so it’s not those things that are broken.

I have a Perdix 2 and I'm a SubSurface user. I really appreciate the recent support for the new computer model. I have a Windows 11 laptop with built in Bluetooth. When I go to sync my dives with SubSurface, my dive computer doesn't show. I then BT sync my Perdix 2 to my laptop, SubSurface sees it, and it works fine. The problem arises the next time I sit down to sync my dives. I turn on BT on my Perdix, go into SubSurface, and it throws an error. It doesn't see my dive computer. I go into Windows BT devices, it's listed, but not connected. It doesn't give an option to force a connection. I have to delete the device and re-add it, which takes a few attempts of stopping BT and restarting it on the dive computer before my laptop sees it again. I don't have this issue with the Shearwater Cloud Desktop software, it just works every time.

Does anyone else have this issue? It's pretty annoying to have to delete the BT device and re-add it every time. Is the problem that the computer isn't automatically connecting to the dive computer when I start Bluetooth? Or is it a software issue with SubSurface not somehow initiating the BT connection? With the Shearwater Cloud Desktop software, I don't have to BT pair my dive computer to my laptop, it just connects when I click connect. Or am I just not doing it right within SubSurface?

I have the same issue with SW Cloud ... I can easily sync to it on my phone but syncing to the app on my laptop is problematic. I know it isn't SS related, but thought it may be helpful to share. Many others have seen the same. I see others in this thread mention that also. It seems that connecting to SW computers via bluetooth from either an iOS or Android phone is far more stable and consistent. Most do it that way and then sync to the desktop app via cloud. I do this before I'm even home. I can then do more editing on my computer later, but all of the SW dive data has already been synced to cloud for safe keeping.

If you also have a smartphone, I have found it easier and more consistent to use the mobile version of SS to sync my dives. Then my desktop pulls from the cloud.

The mobile version doesn’t have all the features, but does allow some basic editing and viewing. it can also be useful to capture notes for a given dive if you are doing a lot of dives between desktop sessions.
I didn't know there is an app, thanks for the tip! Will try this method after my dives this weekend.

I have the same issue with SW Cloud ... I can easily sync to it on my phone but syncing to the app on my laptop is problematic. I know it isn't SS related, but thought it may be helpful to share. Many others have seen the same. I see others in this thread mention that also. It seems that connecting to SW computers via bluetooth from either an iOS or Android phone is far more stable and consistent. Most do it that way and then sync to the desktop app via cloud. I do this before I'm even home. I can then do more editing on my computer later, but all of the SW dive data has already been synced to cloud for safe keeping.
I had seen those posts, so I was trying to sync to my phone. At one point, my phone saw the dive computer, but would not connect. The dive computer seems to randomly appear in the available BT devices list on both my phone and laptop.

At any point though, I can fire up the SW Cloud Desktop and it syncs every time.

If you also have a smartphone, I have found it easier and more consistent to use the mobile version of SS to sync my dives. Then my desktop pulls from the cloud.

Same challenges with my Android phone. I couldn't even get it connect.

If you also have a smartphone, I have found it easier and more consistent to use the mobile version of SubSurface to sync my dives. Then my desktop pulls from the cloud.

This is spot on to use mobile.

In the future the creator of SubSurface (dirk) has asked that we don't refer to it as "SS". It has something to do with it sounding like the SS of Nazi Germany (I believe).

Same challenges with my Android phone. I couldn't even get it connect.

I have just Perdix AI and it took a few tries but once established has been rock solid. Windows gives me trouble every damn time.

Back
Top Bottom