Sucked-in regulator valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As posted in "near misses," the rental reg I was using in Cozumel became a bit leaky at 80 feet - which I could deal with - but then I took in a full "breath" of nothing but seawater. Thankfully, my second stage was working. The primary worked later.

Someone mentioned a "sucked-in regulator valve." Why does this happen and how can I prevent it in the future? (I *will* be buying my own reg, and soon.)

Thanks!

most likely was an issue with the exhaust valve. can happen to your own as well as a rental. some debris gets caught under it, etc.

My 109 started breathing really wet recently. I popped the exhaust T off & found something caught under the edge of the exhaust valve. Removed it & it worked perfectly.

At depth, you may not have any option but to swap to your safe 2nd. Which makes a good argument for checking it prior to the dive, as well as sometimes during a dive.

When the exhaust valve becomes displaced a few things might have happened.

The most common I am aware of is swift currents and rapid breathing.

If the exhaust port is open to the current, the moving water will catch the edge of the exhaust diaphragm on the exhale and curl it. If a rapid inhale occurs immediately after the exhale a slightly over exaggerated low pressure zone inside occurs and combined with the current can force the exhaust valve edge inside the cage.

Small particles can find their way in as well and create the situation. It is more uncommon than common. As the exhaust valve ages it becomes brittle and more prone to displacement. Fresh valves have more spring and are the best defense.

Proper servicing and replacement is best thing you can do, design of the exhaust deflector is another consideration. Look for one that has baffles to fight water flow directly over the valve surface.

@BlueGirlGoes:

Another theory for your "flooded regulator" would be a crack in the body of the 2nd stage. Usually, the lower half where the mouth piece is located. This could happen when you allow the 2nd stage (plastic) to hit the deck or tank with force. You mentioned that your DM was throwing gear around, rushing to get the regs on the tank for all divers. He could've caused a hairline crack on your reg while doing so.

Bottom line: You handled it well at depth. Congrats!

Mario

Thanks so much for the feedback. I can't wait to buy my own equipment, and I'll research (and maintain it) carefully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom