Sudafed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty worried about getting a reverse block when diving so I normally take Sudafed before I dive. Is this a bad thing for me to be doing?

Amber

YES! It is a very bad thing.

"Pseudoephedrine HCI (i.e. Sudafed) has been used for individuals who are made drowsy by antihistamine combinations. However, numerous technical divers and physicians have reported increased susceptibility to CNS oxygen toxicity evident by onset of minor symptoms during dives where Pseudoephedrine was used."

Excerpt above taken from IANTD Advanced Nitrox Student Workbook.

In other words, drugs containing Pseudoephedrine, such as Sudafed, can increase your chances of taking an oxygen toxicity hit. If you are diving within recreational limits, this should not be much of a problem, but better safe than sorry...

I have had reverse blocks before and they are manageable with careful planning. Normally, descending slightly and moving my head from side to side has alleviated the problem. One of the key things, IMO, if you are going to dive when you have a cold/sinus (and many of us have) make sure to take into account some extra reserve gas in order to make slow ascents and allow you time if you have to descend slightly to clear. Don't put yourself in a situation where you are almost out of gas and have to surface quickly, as this can accentuate a reverse block problem.

One other thing. Once or twice when I cleared a reverse block, I experienced extreme vertigo. If you feel your going to be susceptible to a block, having a fixed reference point while you ascend can greatly help if you do experience vertigo.

As far as I am concerned now, it is like any other diving skill. Once you experience it once or twice and get the hang of dealing with it, it's almost second nature, just like very few experienced divers conciously have to clear their ears on the way down.

Well....good thing I asked. I'll stop using it now unless I have to, and then I'll do what you said about planning my dive so I have enough air at the end to deal with it if it does occur. I've just always been worried about damaging my eardrums. My instructor made it sound like it was extremly difficult to get rid of a reverse block and that getting one almost always ended up badly.

Thank you very much!

Try a search of this board for "sudafed" and you will find a small mountain of prior discussions. It seems that there are strong disagreements about this issue with very little science to support any position. I wouldn't be very comfortable with long-term use of any drug as a prophylactic, just on general principles.

Reverse blocks are uncommon and can almost always be resolved using the same procedures you would for a normal blockage. Taking medication to allow you to dive is generally not considered to be a good thing and particularly decongestants/antihistamines. The thought of the drugs wearing off while you're underwater and the resultant mess...

You are a DAN member, right? Even if you aren't, you can still access a lot of medical information on their pages - always a good place to start: Divers Alert Network article

And Doc Vikingo has weighed in with a contribution regarding the issue that Cave Diver brought up: Doc Vikingo post

Then again, I'm not a doctor and don't stay at Holiday Inn, so what the heck do I know?

Steven

Amber once bubbled...
Well....good thing I asked. I'll stop using it now unless I have to, and then I'll do what you said about planning my dive so I have enough air at the end to deal with it if it does occur. I've just always been worried about damaging my eardrums. My instructor made it sound like it was extremly difficult to get rid of a reverse block and that getting one almost always ended up badly.

Thank you very much!

IMHO, it is much better to dive without the use of decongestants, etc. that may wear off during the dive as Reef pointed out. A reverse block can be rather painful, and a little unsettling and therefore a certain amount of caution should be used. For example, I would be much more careful on a dive where I had to do a free ascent using an upline or something of that nature than on a shore dive where there is a gradual sloping change to the depth.

Remember the often repeated, yet still wise phrase: Plan your dive and dive your plan!

I'm not so much afraid of getting a reverse block, because I know how to get rid of it, I'm more worried about getting a reverse block and NOT be able to get rid of it. But the offchance of getting one that wont go away is a much better risk than comtinuing what I was doing now that I know better.

I did get a reverse block once and tried everything i could to clear it.This was like my 2nd dive after being certified to make it worse.It was my own stupid fault for diving with a head cold.I took some decongestant before the dive and i think it wore off during the dive.The result was one popped eardrum and an ear infection in the other.Other than that i have never had a problem.I also promised myself to never dive while sick again no matter how desperate i want to dive :D

lal7176 once bubbled...
I did get a reverse block once and tried everything i could to clear it.This was like my 2nd dive after being certified to make it worse.It was my own stupid fault for diving with a head cold.I took some decongestant before the dive and i think it wore off during the dive.The result was one popped eardrum and an ear infection in the other.Other than that i have never had a problem.I also promised myself to never dive while sick again no matter how desperate i want to dive

A reverse block occurs when the air trapped behind your eardrum expands on ascent causing pressure, and therefore pain on your eardrum. The pain is the warning sign you receive prior to the impending damage (ruptured eardrum).

Due to seasonal allergies, I have often dove with nasal/sinus congestion. That is NOT to say that I advocate anyone else dive under those conditions. However, if you choose to do so, there are two things that I have found to be of great help.

The first one, as I mentioned above, is to descend slightly. The increased pressure helps to decrease the size of the trapped bubble of air and allow it to escape more easily.

The second trick, often used in conjunction with the first, is to turn the ear that you are feeling the pain in so that it points down. Since the trapped air will tend to want to rise, it will take the pressure off of your eardrum as it seeks its way up. Once you feel the pressure release, turn your head back to normal position, as you dont want the bubble floating all the way to your upturned ear.

For me, this will normally allow it to escape with no further problems.

But as always, the best advice is:

Don't dive if you don't feel physically or mentally fit to do so!

Thanks a lot lal7176...that makes me feel a whole lot better:eek:ut: lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom