Sugar Barge (The Regina)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itote

Contributor
Reaction score
Polk City, Florida at heart, but my behind is in G
I got an invite to dive the SB next month. I know it's a short swim and a shallow dive. Is it worth the 2 hour drive for me? Any input would be appreciated.
Chris

Chris:
As a fellow resident of Polk County, I wouldn't make the drive to Bradenton Beach just to go diving there, but it is a nice easy dive if you are going there anyway for other reasons -- friends, family, etc. As you mentioned, the Sugar Barge is a beach dive with a relatively short swim and is pretty shallow. There is not a lot to see and it's a small wreck, but there are some schooling fish, crabs, and lots of shells! I did see a leopard toadfish there once as well. The visibility is VERY weather dependent. If the seas are up or if the wind is out of the west the visibility can reduced to zero. You will need to check with Sea Trek Divers (www.seatrekdivers.com) who are right across the street from the shore entry for the latest conditions. They can also provide you with air fills, tanks, rentals, etc. if you need it.

debersole-
Thanks for the input. I do go over that way to fish alot, but the trip I was gonna make was specifically for the dive. Me thinks I should rethink the whole shootin match :06:
It just seemed convenient.
Chris

Itote:
I got an invite to dive the SB next month. I know it's a short swim and a shallow dive. Is it worth the 2 hour drive for me? Any input would be appreciated.
Chris

Hey man, no fair.... You got invited to dive down here with all those crazy Conch girls and me (can't group myself with the insane ones)... What's up with that.... I'm not feeling the love in the room man... :laughing:

Vickie,
Me being fairly new to the sport, I couldn't very well refuse an invite could I? I mean, who am I to tell more experienced folk no :eyebrow:
Besides, I was promised CPR if anything bad happened :wink:
Chris

:laughing: So should I mark you as a "will be attending" for saturday morning?

Like DEbersole said, it is very weather dependent for its Vis. I would definitely be worth your the effort to call ahead and check on the vis before you drive that far. It is only a hundred yards or so off shore, and if there is any sand kicked up in the water, you will have zero vis (not 1-2 feet - zero)
Also, bring a dive flag if you weren't already planning on it, It is just far enough out that boats will go over it.

I know, I am not a local but I have dove it (have diven? - Heck! I've been there) twice since my Dad lives about half a mile away...

You could do the SB and then head a little further south to Venice Beach for some shark tooth unting. That may make your trip worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom