Question Suggestions for Beginner, Shallow Reef Snorkeling Beaches in The Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik H

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My family and I are planning a week long trip to The Bahamas late April/early May and want to do some snorkeling. Our primary goal is to allow a family member (a complete snorkeling beginner with Down syndrome) to experience snorkeling to see coral, reefs and colorful fish for their first time. We plan to stay at nicer/luxury resorts (haven't decided on islands or resorts yet) and really want beach front resorts and want to stay somewhere with a beach with easy/beginner friendly snorkeling and shallow reefs. Any suggestions on islands and resorts for snorkeling? Any specific beaches that might be close by to some resorts?

Many thanks all!

I haven’t stayed there for several years, but recent reports have been positive… my choice would be the Orange Hill Beach Inn. The great advantage is that it’s across the street from its own beach. The actual beach is fairly narrow, but the water stays shallow for quite a way, little to no current or wave action, and lots of easy to reach little patch reefs.

Last time I was there a gentleman who was also staying there told me he had very little snorkeling experience but would like to go with me if I was willing. He and his friends were amateur salt water aquarists in the DC area and he was anxious to see tropical fish in the wild. He went absolutely ecstatic! I finally had to practically drag him out of the water because I was in danger of sunburn!

The only downside is that the hotel is way out of town. You need to catch a bus (sporadic out there), or a taxi (very pricey out there), or rent a car and remember to drive on the “wrong” side of the road.

Prices are reasonable for Nassau. The rooms are not luxurious but clean and spacious. There’s a pool and on-site restaurant which, from what I’ve heard lately, is getting better all the time. You also can do limited cooking in your room, IIRC

🐸

do you already have accommodations and where? I have stayed at Orange Hill several times (each time one night only in transit to or back from an out island) and it is an older but nicely maintained family property with a nice pool, on site restaurant and honor bar and clean, nice rooms- some with views. The management is very nice. Some units have kitchenettes and the little villas nearest the water have a full kitchen that is functional enough. I have been to the beach across the street but never snorkeled there. There are buses that run right by there to other places if you want to go. Orange Hill personal let you ride along and grocery shop when they go if you need supplies. I would definitely give it a thumbs up.

if you are paying for "luxury" then definitely look at Cape Santa Maria Resort in Long Island- absolutely stunning beach and there is snorkeling very near that is not just the sandy beach out front.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom