Philippines trip recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm concerned about the reports I've read on unreliable flights. Should I add in an extra day for arrival/departure days in Cebu?
No sure what you mean by “add an extra day”?
What I hear is: international flights are usually not a big problem, but domestic flights and boats gets cancelled/moved/can’t fly/sail because of bad weather so you should be at the island you’re flying internationally a day before.

So if you end in Moalboal no problem in taking a bus/taxi to the airport, but if your last destination is Malapasqua, Bohol or Dauin make sure you’re in Cebu the day before your international flight (if that departs from Cebu).

If you’re flying in/out of Manila be there the day before.

No sure what you mean by “add an extra day”?
What I hear is: international flights are usually not a big problem, but domestic flights and boats gets cancelled/moved/can’t fly/sail because of bad weather so you should be at the island you’re flying internationally a day before.

So if you end in Moalboal no problem in taking a bus/taxi to the airport, but if your last destination is Malapasqua, Bohol or Dauin make sure you’re in Cebu the day before your international flight (if that departs from Cebu).

If you’re flying in/out of Manila be there the day before.
Sorry for the confusion. Your answer was super helpful, despite my vaguely phrased question. Thanks @diveUAE. I'm also wrangling a bit with the uncertainty of "self transfer" for local flights (like Cebu-Panglao or Cebu-Dumaguete). But I'm beginning to understand how "Less is more" really applies to the Phils. Like most places I want to go, it's going to require multiple trips. :)

I'm concerned about the reports I've read on unreliable flights. Should I add in an extra day for arrival/departure days in Cebu?
Hire a car and you get there in one to two hours without traffic (they charge per car not # of passengers). No need to adhere to schedules. Sometimes in developing countries --such as SAmerica or India--they won't leave until whatever you're on is at full capacity and because rural stops are often dead quiet (Phillipines), you can sit waiting for 30 mins or more for a few passengers. Moalboal is cheap with car like $50 more or less. Door to door in 1.5 hours and germ-free isolated travel especially diving.

I am not sure if there is any flight between Cebu and Dumaguete or Tagbilaran(Bohol).
There is regular ferry between these three places.

Plan the trip and then check the respective ferry/flight schedule. Bus from Cebu Southern Bus Terminal to Moalboal is plentiful. Just remember the bus does not terminate at Moalboal but goes on to other places further south eg. Bato. There should be a board by the driver seat indicating where the bus is going. If in doubt ASK.

I am not sure if there is any flight between Cebu and Dumaguete or Tagbilaran(Bohol).
There is regular ferry between these three places.
There's a Cebu pacific flight from CEB-DGT - I booked for 1 pm departure, got moved to 6 pm, then to 8 pm - I think because they did not have enough bookings for all the flights. Was annoying as we arrived very early morning 2 am and then had to spend the whole day in Cebu instead of getting to Dauin mid afternoon as planned.

On the other hand, we chose Bai Hotel and had a relaxing morning with breakfast buffet, enjoying the pool, walking to the mall to exchange some Euro's (don't bring Euro's unless it's your currency, exchange rate was low in some places, just use your CC in ATM). Had a great (albeit expensive by Philippine standard) massage at the hotel and a superb (again expensive) meal at their steak restaurant, before going to the airport.

Bus or ferry is more reliable from Cebu to Dumaguete and could be quicker but definitely cheaper.
Took me well over an hr last month to get to the airport from Cebu City centre. Those bridges just could not handle all the traffic coming/going from/to Mactan Island.

Thanks @diveUAE, @TJI, and @Centrals for all the info on local transportation. We'd be flying into Mactan-Cebu airport from Manila, so I was considering Cebu Pacific flights to Dumaguete and/or Camiguin. After reading several experiences like diveUAE described, it sounds like ferries may be a better choice. And even if we go with a local Cebu Pacific flight, I think we'll build in a minimum 6 hour buffer for flight delays/changes. At this point, I think we'll probably simplify our two week trip to just two places. Camiguin and Dauin/Apo/Siquijor are the group favorites, but logistically, I think Moalboal or Bohol will replace one of them. I'm still intrigued by Southern Leyte too, but the snorkelers say Odette wiped out their options there, so maybe that'll be next trip.

I am in Camiguin right now - just finished 3 days diving and I will spend my last full day tomorrow renting a motorbike to tour around. It seems I am a bit early in the season here - weather has been a bit rainy, and water temp is still cold (24-26) and vis is low (~15M). The DM said late May it gets closer to 30C and 40M viz.

I wont say its amazing nor poor diving. Its decent. White Island was quite nice. Not world class, but quite nice. Nothing big besides turtles (and they do grow big here). Some healthy coral and schools of smaller fish. I dove Mantigue Is. today and vis was very poor with the weather, so it was not a very special dive, but a very pretty island.

I am a solo diver, so did not really have the choice of going wherever I wanted (without paying a surcharge, which I did yesterday to go to White Island). It's pretty quite here so for 2 days I was the only diver - so dove the house reef the 1st day which was ok diving. I wouldn't say snorkeling here is not that great. People go, but I've had MUCH better snorkeling other places. It is a very pretty island and very calm environment. If you just want a laid-back place to explore with some diving, it might work well. If you want really spectacular diving there are probably better places, but I don't know enough yet about the Philippines to direct you.
BTW I am staying at Volcan Beach resort. The DM is very nice and a good guide. I am renting gear which is "OK" tho the wetsuit selection is pretty lacking for this colder weather and I do not praise the gear. It is also located away from anything else, so renting motorbikes or something to tour around may be a good idea if you stayed here. You could likely dive with them if you stayed somewhere else. i think there is only one other dive op on the island, and I can't speak to it.

BTW I flew from CEB and had little issue. The flight departed 30min late. I will fly back to CEB on Wednesday. Flightstatus suggests its a quite reliable flight.

You can fly into Dumaguete, just make sure you have transport arranged if you are going to Dauin. On my trip there I had to pay 1kphp from the airport, my friend had to pay 1700. There is no grab there. Trikes can’t take you the whole way, they can only go halfway and then you have to find another trike. My plan the next time I go is to rent a car. The roads in Dumaguete seem to be decently drivable. I woudn’t think of trying to drive in Cebu City or Manila.

Back
Top Bottom