Suggestions for Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Closest to San Jose is Herradura divers In response to the other questions, water temp in December around 84 on the surface dropping down no lower than 80 on the central Pacific (quepos) area.From Manuel Antonio/Quepos are we also have access to Cano island as well as the local dive sites adn Veinte seis deep pinnacle, as well as plenty of non-diving activities.

I dove with Oceans Unlimited about 2 years ago and they are great. The visibility was tough when I went in August but OU was a great dive op, very professional.

Would it be safe to assume that diving ealry march (planning to be there mar 6-20th) is simlar? It sounds great. Also, how challenging is this for a novie but confident diver?

Have heard alot about guanecaste region, sounds awesome, will be there march 6th-20th.
Can i info about how challenging the local dives are as well as catalina; my daughter was recentely certified and would love to take her to hopefully see mantas.
Also comments on vis, water temp etc would be appreciated:

Hey mbriskin, I am from Costa Rica living in the US but I have a Cabin in Playas del Coco. I can tell you that the town of Playas del Coco is the biggest in the area (not really big at all) it has restaurants, plenty of souvenir shops and a couple of dive shops. Since your daughter just got certified, Rich Coast Diving usually takes inexperienced divers to a local dive first to get a feel of their abilities. If that works out you can probably schedule the Catalinas islands to the the mantas....lots of spotted mantas and giant turtles. You can see LOTS of sharks if you go to the Murcielago (Bat) islands. You can probably book these dives with Deep Blue Diving or Rich Coast Diving, they are a lot of fun. Water temperatures are fairly steady at around 75 F and visibility varies...some days are better than others, it's just luck. The nearest airport is Liberia Airport (Daniel Oduber Quiroz Airport) 20 minuts from Playas del Coco. For other activities I have used a local guy, Henry Zuniga (tidewateradventure@gmail.com), who has his own tour business. He treats all of his customers like kings. He can pick you up at the airport and for awesome prices take you lots of places like "Las Hornillas" volcanic site hot water springs and volcanic spa mud baths. Another place is "Canon de la Vieja resort" you can do: white water rafting, canopy tour or just relax at the bar/pool. If you feel like doing things closer to the culture, visit "El Chapernal" Ox cart rides, horse back riding and awesome pools. Don't forget to visit Conchal...cristal clear waters great for snorkle and also Playa Grande sea turtle reserve (middle of the night giant turtles come out to lay eggs)
Well...there you go...not just awesome diving...awesome everything !!!

Hi Alzedon,
Thanks for the info on costa rica.
I have booked a trip to belize as I know belize diving and had more confidence as a great place to get right after certificaiton but sill have this region of costa rica on my radar.
If we have a choice what are the best months for these dive activties?
thanks
Mike

Mike,
It all depends what you like, Catlainas famous for the giant manta rays is from November till may, for the advanced divers we go to the Bat islands to see the bull sharks, from May till November, Local diving is really good all year round, JAn to June better viz, but November / December bigger rays.
So as you can see, there is not really a good time to visit. low season is October and june (less divers)

HAppy bubbles in Belize.

Back
Top Bottom