Suggestions for locale with great beaches & shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gambitlizard

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning a vacation with 3 other divers (family) for December, starting the day after Christmas. Scuba is the focus, but we'd like to enjoy beautiful beaches for relaxation and maybe some other good sites or historical venues. Shore diving is our preference for most dives, with maybe a boat dive or 2 for good measure.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
kk

A lot of people don't know that Grand Cayman has some great shore diving! The relaxation factor is high and you can learn about "Tortugas" as the island was know in Pirate days! The Turtle farm and Stingray city! Good resorts and some good deals...... So next to that the Mayan Ruins are great in the Yucatan or Belize, lots of choices!

You pretty much just described:

Curacao
Grand Cayman
Bonaire (maybe)
Maui

Just about every shoredive (15-20) we did on Curacao was on some sort of beach, except for a couple of the better West End sites that are on ironshore. But there's also some really nice beaches, Sunset Waters Resort has one, Porto Marie is one and they dot the coast line both north and south. Some of them are pretty dramatic as they're surrounded by ironshore cliffs that are 40-50' higher. If you want to stay right on the beach though, that would be Sunset Waters or one of the closer in-town resorts like the Marriott, Hilton or Lions Dive to the east. The Marriott is really nice if you're looking for something upscale, great pool complex and it's own beach/cove. They also have an onsite diveop - most resorts on Curacao do. Curacao can be a little trashy in some areas though, mostly downtown and around the refinery. We were warned to lock our vehicles and hide anything we left. There's two daily flights from Miami that are real convenient - I left Houston at 6am and was there by 2pm.

Grand Cayman has Seven Mile Beach it's all really nice beach but there's no shorediving along it - except at Cemetary Beach. But good shorediving 10 mins. away in either direction. Not as many named sites as on Curacao but there are dozens if you contact one of the locals for details. I could come up with over 1/2 dozen excellent named sites without much thought but most are off ironshore - they have ladders etc. for easy entry everywhere. Stingray City is also a riot. And being the offshore banking capital, I don't think there's a lot of crime...lol.

You'd have to work a little harder to find a nice beach on Bonaire, but it's the shorediving capital of the Caribbean with about 60 named shoredive sites. Most of the resorts sit on ironshore though so to stay on the beach look at Plaza Resort, Harbour Village or Eden Beach. The Divi Flamingo also has a small beach. One problem with Eden Beach is that if there's a cruise ship in town, their beach could be crowded. There are a couple of public beaches like Pink Beach which is also a pretty good dive, but none of the beach areas on Bonaire have any sort of facilities nearby - except Lac Bay where they windsurf.

Maui has great beaches, plus more than enough shorediving for a week or so. Some of it would be a small drive depending on where you stay though. And lots of other non-dive activities. From what I've heard/read (family member was just there) Hawaii is really suffering from a lack of tourists due to the economy and airfare prices. That's where I'd go, an uncrowded Maui would be deluxe.

ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community! lists options for all these areas.

Curacao if "beaches" are a must.

Bonaire if "beaches" are optional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom