Suggestions needed for weights when doffing still in the water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Tina5269

Tina5269

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm searching for weight systems with some kind of carry strap or handle.

I have to don/doff my gear while in the water. At the end of my dive I want to take some weight off my BPW & pass my weights up to the boat. That way my gear will be much lighter for the boat guys to lift or for my dive buddy to carry up the ladder.

I'm trying to find a way to make it easier for the people helping me dive.

Due to a back injury I've had to have 3 back surgeries, and now I have the S1-L3 bones fused with metal rods and junk... So I can't flex at the waist anymore and I'm weaker than I used to be. My surgeon is also a diver and I brought my stuff to the office after my last surgery. He ok'd me to drive but said I must never wear my gear out of the water for any reason or I'll risk breaking a bone. It's just too much to carry.

So I now, my dive buddy (my BF) enters the water 1st, the boat crew throws my gear with with on it into the water. My BF cares it and then I jump in, swim to my stuff, soon the gear and remove the tether line, then I go diving. When done, i catch a tether line, doff the gear, get back on the boat. Then the crew either lifts the gear up or my boyfriend has to climb up himself, did his gear and then jump in and carry mine up.

If I could take 14 lbs off my rig and pass that up to the boat, it would make life easier and safer for everyone...right? So how can I do that without losing the weights?

you are contemplating all kinds of expensive and somewhat complicated solutions. Your first try should be a freedive belt. Even if that is not the total solution, I bet you will keep using it.
There is zero complication using the Zeagle. Only if her BP hole pattern is off is it an issue. It would be more cost of around $120 if she had to buy a HOG SS BP but she should be able to work with the Zeagle even if she has some one drill her a hole or two in her BP

[snip]
So here's the 3 questions I have now:
1. I think I will try to get the Zeagle zip-touch 20 lb weight system, and I'm going to try to attach it to the backplate & waistband like Shabaday suggested. This appears to be an ideal solve if there are pockets or pouches I can put the weights into & then hand up to the boat.
2. I stumbled on a Mares XR soft backplate - any thoughts on switching the steel out for the soft?
[snip]

Re: 1)
If you cant find the "Zip-Touch" versions (multiple vendors show they are on order), the Rear-Weight versions work fine for me and are less hole-position specific, since you create your own in a much-bigger tab - downside is that there is only one plate-mounting point rather than two (plus the waist-belt), but It has been a non-issue for me.
61cy9qSXxjL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
Zip Touch
Rear_Weight_System__97925.1367862827.1280.1280.jpg
Rear Weight

Re: 2)
What you lose in plate-weight, you need to make up in lead. From a hoisting-the-rig perspective, the weight difference pales against the weight of the tank and wet rig.
You also have a "floppier" rig which might be more difficult to get into in the water.
The only good reasons in my mind would be lighter/easier travel packing.

ETA: I just looked at you pics some more.
FWIW, since you are using an H-style harness, the shoulder-strap anchors will help to locate the Zeagle pouches also. Mine are right up against the front of the pockets, and I also use the shoulder strap anchor to hold a D-ring for clipping off my pony, reel, etc.

Re: 1)
If you cant find the "Zip-Touch" versions (multiple vendors show they are on order), the Rear-Weight versions work fine for me and are less hole-position specific, since you create your own in a much-bigger tab - downside is that there is only one plate-mounting point rather than two (plus the waist-belt), but It has been a non-issue for me.
61cy9qSXxjL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
Zip Touch
Rear_Weight_System__97925.1367862827.1280.1280.jpg
Rear Weight

Re: 2)
What you lose in plate-weight, you need to make up in lead. From a hoisting-the-rig perspective, the weight difference pales against the weight of the tank and wet rig.
You also have a "floppier" rig which might be more difficult to get into in the water.
The only good reasons in my mind would be lighter/easier travel packing.

ETA: I just looked at you pics some more.
FWIW, since you are using an H-style harness, the shoulder-strap anchors will help to locate the Zeagle pouches also. Mine are right up against the front of the pockets, and I also use the shoulder strap anchor to hold a D-ring for clipping off my pony, reel, etc.
I also keep my integrated weight pockets on my h harness between the backplate and the anchors. No sliding around.

I can help you out here. I have the same issue so I don and doff in the water. I have quick release weight pockets on my BP/W I have tried a LOT of them. You can use the OMS weight pockets on your waist strap when you want to remove them just tug hard and they slide out from the bottom. Or you can use the Zeagle pockets with the weights in a yellow mesh bag.

Zeagle 20 lb Zip Touch Weight System with​

Zeagle Contoured Weight Pouch (Each)​

These work the best because when you don your gear it is tossed in with your wing inflated of course. When you your weights solely on the waist band it is MUCH harder to don. The waist band goes all over the place. When the weight pocket is attached to your BP then it is much less of an issue and easier for you to find your waist webbing. Also use a SS BP and not aluminum I can double check but I think HOG BP line up perfectly with the zeagle pockets. I also have xDeep BC's and I have used xDeep weight integrated. The xDeep are a pain to put into the weight holders I have used DIve Rite weight integrated and I have used OMS which will work The downside for you is donning in the water...the zeagle works the best. Just unzip the pockets and pull out the yellow webbing with the weights and put those on the dive platform I hope all this makes sense to you. I have used almost every system
Hi ... it's been a while but I ordered the Zeagle zip touch & pouches as you suggested on 11/24/22....they are STILL on backorder! UGG! I did 2 dives with my old setup a month ago and it was OK but I worry about my upcoming Cozumel trip because of the current. I took what seemed like a long time donning my stuff. The boat guys and divemaster were OK with me, but afterward even the boat crews said 3x ... "OK It's official - your rig is the HEAVIEST I have ever hoisted, dear! OMG!" (He didn't complain but I felt badly for them.) Out of desperation I got the diverite ones but I only tried those in my living room - that was SUPER awkward and hard to remove the weight so I brought it back without trying in water. I didn't want to waste the $$ on that because once wet I couldn't return it.

Any other ideas?

Hi ... it's been a while but I ordered the Zeagle zip touch & pouches as you suggested on 11/24/22....they are STILL on backorder! UGG! I did 2 dives with my old setup a month ago and it was OK but I worry about my upcoming Cozumel trip because of the current. I took what seemed like a long time donning my stuff. The boat guys and divemaster were OK with me, but afterward even the boat crews said 3x ... "OK It's official - your rig is the HEAVIEST I have ever hoisted, dear! OMG!" (He didn't complain but I felt badly for them.) Out of desperation I got the diverite ones but I only tried those in my living room - that was SUPER awkward and hard to remove the weight so I brought it back without trying in water. I didn't want to waste the $$ on that because once wet I couldn't return it.

Any other ideas?
Did you try ebay? Amazon? Call Zeagle? Diver's Supply? Scuba.com? House of Scuba? The DiveRIte's, the ScubaPro, The xDeep, Hollis and HOG none of those worked for me. The Zeagle like I talked about has two "anchor" points that go right on the the back plate and then the waist webbing goes through it on the underside. I would search all over google to see if anyone has a pair. If I had an extra pair I would send it to you but I don't ...I would give Zeagle a call and see if they have any suggestions

Did you try ebay? Amazon? Call Zeagle? Diver's Supply? Scuba.com? House of Scuba? The DiveRIte's, the ScubaPro, The xDeep, Hollis and HOG none of those worked for me. The Zeagle like I talked about has two "anchor" points that go right on the the back plate and then the waist webbing goes through it on the underside. I would search all over google to see if anyone has a pair. If I had an extra pair I would send it to you but I don't ...I would give Zeagle a call and see if they have any suggestions
Hey shabaday, sorry I'm late getting on here again. I actually did try eBay, Amazon, calling zeagle, scuba. com is who I had the order in with. House of scuba and diver direct too. Nobody has them... They still don't.

I got the big dive right 32lb ones because that's all I could find. It's so damned cold in my mom's pool (61) that I could not try for very long, even with a 5mil wetsuit with a 5mil vest on top. That water hit my spine and that was it.. Instant lock up. I'll try again maybe this weekend, in key largo.

Once I got my stuff on I had 18 lbs on with the double wetsuit in the pool & I was ok. I had 8lb on my waist and 10 on the top cam band. I'm butt-heavy or chest floaty I guess. When I'm in a bathing suit I usually need 12-14 in key West, again more on top.

That makes my bc float bottom up on the surface, and that's making it REALLY hard to soon my heart in the water. I just read some other post on here about swimming up from below and coming to the surface with my arms through, them plopping onto my back to attach the straps. I'll try that idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom