Suggestions where to dive and stay in belize for this coming April 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I'm thinking of going to belize this coming April and am not sure of where and what diving outfit to go with. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations of a dive outfit and location that had great diving and relaxing atmosphere. Any recommendations or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Late to the party on this reply, but if you are serious about "great diving and relaxing atmosphere", you might consider Turneffe Flats Resort. We went there several years ago (and you can find more recent reviews here as well), and if you were there to dive, there's not much more to do there than that, and relaxing.

I appreciate all of the recommendations thus far guys. I was thinking of probably staying on one of the islands after doing some research and reading through the suggestions thus far, Placencia or Ambergris Caye. As far as relaxing is concerned, I am easy going. I would like to find a hotel that is not too busy and is near the dive shop if possible. Scuba diving is my primary reason for going down there. Though a hammock and beaches are certainly not bad either.

Is there a particular location that is best for boat dives each day, placencia versus A
mbergris Caye?

Dive sites are 5-15 minutes off of Ambergris Caye. You can see the reef break from shore.

Technically, Placencia isn't an island, it's a peninsula. The village of Placencia is at the southern tip of the Placencia peninsula. But the village and most of the peninsula have very much an island vibe as you are never far from the water.

The boat rides from the village to the reef are longer than the ones from AC. About 45 minutes to an hour each way. But you pass a number of small cayes along the way so there's always something to look at.

I suspect the diving itself is pretty similar.

Both AC and Placencia have an abundance of beaches and hammocks. San Pedro is bigger and has more nightlife, restaurants, etc. Placencia started off as a fishing village and still shows its roots.

I'm sure you can find a hotel that suits your needs either place. I know that Splash Dive Center in Placencia sends out a shuttle van to pick up and drop off its divers so there's no real need to be real close by, but there are a number of hotels in the immediate area. Patty Ramirez runs the shop and she can help with accommodations if you send her an email or give her a call.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom