Suit filed for Carbon Monoxide fatality - Washington state

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does your school own and run AICPA? PADI sets the standards for the "school" that certified the instructor and requires dues be paid to PADI, the "school" that certified the instructor and supposedly oversees their instructors. SSI, NAUI, SDI etc, the same.

I'm not positive I understand your question so forgive me if I got it wrong. No, my university does not own or run the AICPA. My scuba shop doesn't own or run PADI either, does it? The AICPA certainly sets standards on how accountants are to practice and they require dues be paid to them in order to practice as a CPA.

I'm not positive I understand your question so forgive me if I got it wrong. No, my university does not own or run the AICPA. My scuba shop doesn't own or run PADI either, does it? The AICPA certainly sets standards on how accountants are to practice and they require dues be paid to them in order to practice as a CPA.

If a certified accountant is found to have embezzled funds, does the AICPA get sued?

If a certified accountant is found to have embezzled funds, does the AICPA get sued?

Does the AIPCA require payed membership to be allowed to work? Does the AIPCA establish and enforce performance standards for it's members? It is a different level of control and oversight.

Apples and Oranges. If AICPA trained CPAs, then perhaps they may have some liability when the CPA screws up and gets his client audited and sent to tax court.

Wookie-- all of our boat diving is done within 100 - 200 yards of shore in Puget Sound (well, all that is relevant). I'm not even sure the sound is more than 6 miles across in most areas anyway so most of the water would be within 3 miles of land. I guess that means that most of the water is "state water" -- so what difference would that make?

Wookie-- all of our boat diving is done within 100 - 200 yards of shore in Puget Sound (well, all that is relevant). I'm not even sure the sound is more than 6 miles across in most areas anyway so most of the water would be within 3 miles of land. I guess that means that most of the water is "state water" -- so what difference would that make?

Some states regulate diving. The USCG definitely regulates diving from inspected vessels, and this was tested in Washington State, although it may not apply in this specific case, as it was a fight between the Washington State Department of Labor and the USCG, and the finding was definitely that on uninspected vessels Washington State has primacy, but on inspected vessels, the Coast Guard rules. You can read the brief here: OSHA UPDATE

Apples and Oranges. If AICPA trained CPAs, then perhaps they may have some liability when the CPA screws up and gets his client audited and sent to tax court.
but PADI didn't train me. I did my IDC with Pro Diving Services. I guess the break in the analogy is that the CD used materials supplied by PADI.

but PADI didn't train me. I did my IDC with Pro Diving Services. I guess the break in the analogy is that the CD used materials supplied by PADI.

But PADI wrote the course, applied standards of conduct, certified your instructor trainer, evaluated your performance and approved of your certification. In fact, it was a PADI employee who gave the final approval. All Pro Diving Services did was provide a classroom and give you someone who taught you to pass the PADI evaluation. Does AICPA do anything except collect your dues?

This precedent is troubling because if a certifying agency is automatically included in a lawsuit every time a professional screws up, and if that agency is automatically guilty if a jury determines that the individual is guilty I would think that agencies would have to go out of existence. It would be like a medical school being successfully sued for millions of dollars every time one of their graduates commits malpractice.

One obvious difference is a doctor is not required to maintain a professional membership and pay annual dues to his school.

Do you pay annual dues to the school where you took your IDC or to PADI? I can't speak for doctors but I know as an accountant I had to join the AICPA and pay annual dues to them, not my school, in order to continue to practice every year. I bet other professions are similar.

I'll stick with my original answer to the analogy. :wink:

But PADI wrote the course, applied standards of conduct, certified your instructor trainer, evaluated your performance and approved of your certification. In fact, it was a PADI employee who gave the final approval. All Pro Diving Services did was provide a classroom and give you someone who taught you to pass the PADI evaluation. Does AICPA do anything except collect your dues?

Not sure if i can sue the AICPA when my accountant scrws up, but based on your theory next time I have a problem with a lawyer i will sue the State Bar

Back
Top Bottom