Summer Internship for teens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of any summer internship for teens? My 17 year old son would like to do an internship this summer. He is PADI OW certified. Our first choice would be Florida. Thanks!

Not for anyone under 18, dunno about Can laws. The FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) limits the positions that people can have under this age. If it's a family business that's different, but I wouldn't expect to find much in a commercial or other type of setting.

I was certified at 15 (JOW) and started working as a "gopher" doing odd jobs at the local dive shop over the summer after I turned 16. It was good summer work and I got some decent dive time in too.

I don't know if they have a similar program in Can, but down here they had the Boy Scouts Explorers program that had "internships" for various fields.

i worked at my LDS over the summer, dived alot and got large discounts+ free AOW and rescue certifications.

Yeah I wouldn't look as much for internships as I'd just go to my local dive shops and see who is hiring. The work isn't that much fun but it's a great way to learn how the dive industry works (while getting a check) especially if you're going to be a dive master. I'm currently 17 (I'll be 18 by the end of summer) but I've been working full time going for about 3 years. Internships are rather hard to find and really competitive it's a lot easier and I think better to just get a job working in a shop and picking everything up as you go. I know it is working great for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom