Sunnto Stinger or Uwatec SmartPro???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juv

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My Sunnto Mosquito is dead. After my last dive on Saturday, it kept counting dive time even on dry land until the max. time of 999 min.!!! I went to the dealer, they said they haven't seen this kind of problem before and it might have been sent to their Singapore dealer by now.

Is anyone here has any idea about it? If they can fix it and return it to me, should it be reliable in the future?

I'm thinking about getting a new one - the Stinger or the SmartPro...

and the thing is built like a tank. I love this computer. If you were confy with the Monsquito, the Stinger will be a breeze for you. The functionality is the same, except the Stinger brings a few extra features to the table.

1) it will do gauge mode
2) it will allow viewing of the dive profile from the unit, not just from your PC.
3) the buttons are much easier to push than the Mosquito.
4) it's got a steel case and looks really cool! :wink:

If I had to guess, I'd say your pressure diaphram got stuck in your Mosquito. It might have been cause by stuff getting stuck in there, or a bum diaphram. Who knows.

I've been diving Suunto's for 2.5 years now and I love them. I had a Mosquito for a short time, but decided to swap for the Stinger and get gauge mode so I can use the computer as a bottom timer for Tech diving as well.

--Rick

Hi,

I have had the mosquito and liked it.

Sorry you had a problem but I would keep
with the computer that you like.

The stinger is a little different from the
rest of the line and requires a different
upload unit and a couple of other things.

It's a good unit ( but conservative ) If you
liked it, stick with it.

Kell

I bought a stinger last August. I really like it. The fact that it looks good and that you can wear it like a watch helps, too. Much more important, it's Nitrox compatible. And unless you really like diving with the tables, it's a major plus. Not to mention that when traveling light, it's the one thing you'll always be able to carry with you. I also have the PC connection that works like a breeze. It's always nice to replay and look at the whole dive profile.

In my opinion, the Stinger has only 3 problems:

1. The main one is for night dives. Yes, it has its own light, but it's not like you can leave it on all the time. If you try to point your flashlight at it, you get blinded. And pressing the light button when you're holding a flashlight is really not convenient. I'm hoping that Suunto comes up with some sort of anti-reflect device for it. I know I'm not the only one complaining about it.

2. The "beep" is not loud enough, especially when wearing a hood.

3. Some of the numbers are a little difficult to read because they're too small. It's hard to fit in so much information.

All things considered, it's a very good, easy to use, dive computer.

:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom