Sunset House goes 100% NON-Smoking.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDad

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Right off the Sunset House website (www.sunsethouse.com)
:D :D
A Breath of Fresh Air

Thursday, March 01, 2007, 14:46

Change is in the air.

Sunset House will become 100% smoke-free, as of March 1, 2007.

To a non smoker, there are few things in life more disgusting than the rancid smell of cigarette smoke entrenched deep within the curtains, and bedding of a hotel room.

No offense to you smokers out there, but smell of smoke remains long after you've checked out. Even non-smoking rooms tend to be similarly soiled; smoke, after all, floats around and settles where it pleases.

The new policy includes all guest rooms,dive shop, class rooms and employee work areas. Currently more than 90% of Sunset House guest rooms are already non-smoking. Demand for non-smoking rooms continues to rise with new information from the Surgeon General on the hazards of secondary smoke.

We look forward to seeing you — so you can experience the clear difference that Sunset House offers.

I think you will see ALL GC hotels adopt this policy if they have not already done so. Smoking is not allowed on most (all?) dive boats and many restaurants are following suit. The bars and night clubs seem to be holding out at this point.

As far as I'm concerned the whole planet could go non-smoking and I'd be fine with that.

I just wish people would leave their hands off my dive gloves. I don't dive anywhere that doesn't allow me to use the exposure protection of my choice...meanwhile, I like the non-smoking thing. I used to smoke, but now consider it a disgusting and foul habit that I don't like thrust upon me by inconsiderate clods...

We'll find out for ourselves in May. Will be there for 5 nights and looking forward to it!

Sorry Cowboyneal...I can't get with your position on gloves. I've seen way too many divers use gloves to compensate for poor technique. When they're appropriate (cold water for example) have at it. Just like I've seen overweighted (NOT overweight) divers using lead to compensate for poor technique.

Well, as an instructor, I think I've earned the right to choose my own exposure protection...plus, gloves never did anything to damage a reef - bad diving does...

I too am an instructor and choose to lead by example....and being an instructor doesn't earn you anything. Your performance does. Some of the worst divers I've seen are instructors and some of the best have never gone beyond entry level open water certification. And regardless of whether it's gloves or bad diving, the damage is done.

cowboyneal:
Well, as an instructor, I think I've earned the right to choose my own exposure protection...plus, gloves never did anything to damage a reef - bad diving does...

I am definately for the no gloves rule in the Caymans (there are exceptions for a few dives like the Carrie Lee)..

When a diver has bare hands they are much more careful where they place them as opposed to when they are covered.. One good encounter with fire coral and you will never be careless where you put your hand ever again..

And I agree with DiveDad as well.. some of the worse offenders I have seen have been instructors.. Too many think they are better than they are.. When It comes to skill level, I would say at least 50% of the OW instructors I see, can learn alot from watching the average tech diver in the water..

Why do you need gloves if you don't touch things you shouldn't? I've never used gloves and never had a problem with a hand injury, even inside wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom