Sunset time on Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scorpionfish

Reaction score
Hi, Gang!

One of the joys of shore diving on holiday is selecting one's own time for the dive. Most "commercial" dive boats work between the hours of 7:00 AM and 4:00 PM, with an occasional night dive tossed in.

However, many fish become active from the hours just before sunrise until a few hours after; or they become active just before sunset until a few hours after. In fact, if you want to see fish that eat other fish("piscivores"), this is the best time to go--called "crepuscular" by biologists. Thus, we have chosen to do lots of shore dives around those hours, although the sunset slot is our most popular time for techical reasons: we usually do not get up until sunrise or slighty after!

At any rate, here is a photo I took recently off Kona about 20 minutes before sunset. Everywhere you looked you saw similar scenes, but this was may favorite. Note, however, that the water clarity suffered from some tidal action and plankton.

Scorpionfish

Nothin' but fish. No sunset :( . Also, you may want to work on the quality of the images you post. Their color seems to have been reduced to 256 colors, and they're pretty hard to see that way. If you want to reduce their filesize for web-posting, consider resizing down to say 640x480 or smaller, instead of reducing the colors. One other thing that might help is to reduce the JPEG compression quality to maybe 65% or so. Not trying to rag on you, just trying to help out :)

-Roman.

Notabob,

Thanks! This is only my 3rd time to use the scanner and I obviously have a lot to learn. When I scanned the first time and tried to post, I got a message that said my file was too large. So, I played around until I got something the Board would "accept". I am just using the "vanilla" software that came with my HP Scanner. What software would you suggest?

Thanks for the help--and I never consider anything offered on the Board "ragging"!

Re: sunset. That was my subtle way of indicating that the photo was taken around sunset. We did not actually see the sunset because we were u/w! However, the warm tones in the photo are due to the sunlight at that time of day and the shallow depth were were at (ca. 15 feet).

Scorpionfish

One thing that might help is if you scan the image, save it on your harddrive, and then resize it down using an image editing program. There are a number of them out there. ACDSee is one good application for basic image editing, and your scanner may have even come with one as well. I remember HP used to package Adobe PhotoDeluxe with their scanners, not sure if you got it or not, though. That program can do resizing as well. Hope this helps!

-Roman.

That's where I got my Photo Deluxe program years ago, it a pretty good basic program.

I copied your photo into Photoshop Elements but I couldn't do much with it in it's current condition. :(

Hi, Dee!

Thanks for the info. I will pop down to the local computer shop and see what I can find. When I scanned an 8x10 of this, the "Board" rejected it, noting that the file was too big.

Well, just one more trial on the road to oblivion...(I don't like the idea of perdition!)

Scorpionfish

If you'll send me the original photo, I'll resize it for you. PS Elements has a 'save for web' feature that I like. You can size it to under 100K, if needed, and still have a clear, good sized photo.

Back
Top Bottom