Super Grouper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Merry! What a unique, rare find! Thank you for the wonderful post! Oh how dry I am.

Frank! It must be ESP. Last night Phil said how much you and Charlie would enjoy this spot. I said, "Frank better get the heck back here soon"!

Frank! It must be ESP. Last night Phil said how much you and Charlie would enjoy this spot. I said, "Frank better get the heck back here soon"!
Charlie is still in So Cal, steaming ahead hard as ever in Physical Therapist School. I've accepted a Deputy position up here in Billings County. We surround the National Park and do a lot of resource enforcement, EMS, Fire as well as your run of the mill community services. It's like a LE Ranger but on steroids. Really yearning for a dip in Big Pacific Blue. Looking to come back at the end of October for a weekend. Will keep you posted! Really looking forward to reconnecting with you and Phil.

Congrats on the job, Frank! We're also looking forward to seeing you again. I know time will be tight when you're back, but we'd do anything to get you in the water.

Perhaps Dr. Bill could weigh in on why GSBs circle. We guessed that it might have to do with spawning, and have been seeing 2 or 3 of them circling head to tail.

First, I am oh so envious of these broomtail sightings. Some day I too will film one.

Good question on the circling behavior. Certainly appears to be related to courtship and I've seen females with more than one male circling. As far as I know, spawning is done like many other species with a surge vertically in the water followed by release of gametes. This is presumably to better ensure the fertilized eggs are up in the water column and get dispersed farther. Don't want the kids sticking too close to home!

Many years ago, in the late 1950s the San Diego based spearfishing club, the Bottom Scratchers discovered Broom Tail groupers congregating in or near San Diego.
Very few knew the location, few were honored to see them and very few if any photographs were ever taken or published of a Broom Tail

They put out the word via the clubs and councils, the major means of diver communication prior to the electronic highway, that If they were ever encounter they were to be observed and not molested in any way and especially speared. So far as known the moratorium was honored by all. In 1972 a law was enacted protection the BSB aka GSB so for 43 years the big fish have thrived and grew and grew and grew..

They were and I assume still are consider rare and not a native California species. I checked two reference books:
Fish Bulletin #68, Common Marine Fishes of California by Phil M Rodell, published 1948
Guide to Coastal Marine Fished of California by Daniel Miller and Robert N. Lee Fish Bulletin 157 published in 1972.
Neither one listed the broom tail grouper as a California fish

My generation got to know BSB aka GSB up close and often very personal. I don't recall any one ever seeing a broom tail and certainly not becoming up close and personal with one.

Until your photographs were taken I was unaware they were also local.

Now one possibly migrated 100 miles north. Warm Water ? Nutrition ? Lonely for a Broom Tail?

May I suggest that before it or they depart for reefs unknown get some professional Mark 1 eye balls on them, such as Dr. Bill Bussing or Dr. Milton Love.

Take as many more photographs as possible and keep the tourist away from them.

You did well

Dr. Sam (if Bill uses the title so should I)
NAUI instructor # 27 (if Ken lists his instructor number so should I)

They have been hanging out along the Redondo Breakwater for years. It's good to see them spreading out. Like the Giant Sea Bass, the broomtail groupers are protected in California and they seem to know it. I hope to see them become commonplace on our natural reefs as well.

"They have been hanging out along the Redondo Breakwater for years."

That is a relative statement. How long is "Years?" 1 ?, 5 ? , 10 ?, 20 ?

Is it like the former President's statement what is the meaning of "If?"

You have so many images of the fish why not assemble a short 45 minute presentation for the Long Beach SCUBA Show in June ?

I would suspect that most were unaware that they had first been spotted in San Diego by the Bottom Scratcher Spear fishing club.
For over 60 years or more they were protected via a gentleman's agreement, if discovered don't molest and don't shoot.

The last member of the Bottom Scratchers which were formed in 1932 (?) is alive and alert but not in good health . If you would take your baby brownie down to visit and interview him it would probably be one of the most interesting and historic programs ever presented .

I would be happy to set up a meeting, but time is your mortal enemy the meeting should be soon

SDM

The second video was posted to YouTube six years ago. According to the Redondo Harbor Patrol there have been at least four broomtails there for at least twenty years.
BTW, there was a nice article in the SD Tribune by James Stewart a few years ago.
Healthy oceans a worthy legacy | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

Merry, you and Phil are such unique individuals, and always bring unique perspective to or near shore underwater neighbors! Mahalo nui loa for all you share when we're not there! Aloha! Miss y'all!

Back
Top Bottom