Supplies for O2 cleaning a steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm.... I don't think the Thermo Manifold comes "o2 clean" from the factory does it?

maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you could buy a Viaton O-ring kit for it to replace the factory o-rings. (might want to verify before pumping O2 through your original built valve.)

Maybe someone else can verify this....

According to Lee here from Sea Pearls:

"if they are new and are stamped with an E on the mfr'ing code they are already cleaner than you can make them. All components are O2 compatable."

I don't know how much O2 or Nitrox these little tanks will ever see, they may never see anything but air, either way, I'm going to O2 clean them so they can PP blend if I choose to.

According to Lee here from Sea Pearls:

"if they are new and are stamped with an E on the mfr'ing code they are already cleaner than you can make them. All components are O2 compatable."

Thats good to know.... thanks for verifying.

I have to say, that whole explanation of "The Bribe" is amazingly funny and applicable, and should be the standard explanation used for those nitrox "bumper stickers."

It's sort of how my parking decal here at college is really a hunting license. I'm allowed to go looking for a spot....

What cleaning solution are you guys using? I've been using Simple Green for all the aluminum cylinders I've cleaned, but I've heard Blue Gold is good too, except I've never seen it for sale anywhere.

I use Crystal Simple Green because I like the smell of it, but I did notice that Innovative Scuba is selling Blue Gold.

I don't use any rust inhibitors- just a hot water rinse and dry with scuba air.

Hey that brings me to another question, where do you find crystal simple green? I've only found the liquid concentrate in 4 litre jugs.

That's what I buy and it's usually good for a round of tanks and regs (8 tanks and 8 regs).

McMaster-Carr has a 24 oz bottle. I'm not sure if they ship across the border.

edit: oops, I was thinking of something else

Well I can pretty easily find the 4 litre jugs of the liquid concentrate, so I guess stick to that.

I have used simple green for years, but am going to try blue/gold mostly because I found some.

Careful with rust inhibitors, some are not O2 compatible. Global's Compund B is not.

Back
Top Bottom