Surface interval on boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let the DM get back on the boat and get his stuff put away and do your own safety stop. I don't dive with a DM so I don't really know if they are pushy or not.

Not that it matters to many, the profiles described did not violate the rules for the PADI RDP. According to the tables the first dive did not require a saftey stop. My Cobra computer seems to ask for a ss on every ascent, possibly even 20' for 10 min. 99% of the time I do the ss even on short shallow dives. I am fairly positive with the same profiles, I could go into plan mode and verify that my computer would have no problem with the second dive on that short of an interval, even skipping the ss on the first dive. If the diving was good, the ascents were slow, the price was right and you were still in the green, what's the beef?

As an instructor/guide I have refused to make second dive entry until my divers without computers had enough surface interval for the tables to properly plan the dive. I have also had captains unhappy with the longer surface intervals required by a cobra over other brand computers but I have never been pushed off the boat or told I couldn't do the second dive. If you have ground to stand on you can easily stand your ground. The dive trip in question seems quick but not improper.

I learned during my OW class to ALWAYS do a safety stop when diving deeper than 30 feet. That's what I do and will always do, unless there is some really pressing reason not to, which would have to be medical or safety in nature.

Otherwise, if the DM or other divers want to get on the boat and blow off the stop, they can wait at least 3 minutes before they'll see me on the boat. It's more efficient to off gas at 15' than on the surface.

It's simply a bad habit IMO to follow a DM like a lemur. Even if someone else tells me what the dive profile will be, it is my responsibility to make sure it is a safe dive for me, which involves my reviewing and planning the dive for myself. It is my right to do whatever I feel necessary to stay safe, and that definitely includes doing a safety stop on EVERY dive and the right to call a dive anytime I want for any reason.

Hi,

Most important comment I can make is this:

The dive boat operator works for you, not the other way around. Do what you feel comfortable doing, and if they won't comply don't be pressured to dive outside your judgment.

I have learned to be clear and forthright about wanting a longer surface interval (to warm up, rest up, eat, drink, offgas, whatever).

Some days, even if the SI the boat planned was reasonable, it wasn't long enough for me, and it may be I have to bag the second dive, and that's my call.

Some days the boat was trying to short us, and I am very clear about who works for whom.

Cheers,
W

I have been on a few DM lead dives where the "safety stop" was
omitted. On each of these the DM was very upfront and stated
that this would be case because of the profile. The dive profile
was set up so that it would end with a shallow (15-20ft) swim
along the top of a wall or around a pinnacle peak.
The DM would state that a specific separate safety stop would not
be necessary because of the profile and that he would not be
doing one, but if you felt it necessary then go ahead and do one.

--- bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom