SURVIVOR RAOATAN: OutDive, OutDrink, OutSleep...CoCo View Day 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc, I had to laugh when you said Poncho was already going out to the platform with the divers. It reminded me of Zinger. I miss him. That dog was pure entertainment. It sounds like the diving is spectacular as usual. Only 5 more weeks.

SURVIVOR ROATAN, Dateline: CoCoView, Day 5, 20 May, 2004

Another crummy day in paradise.

Last night we chowed down on roast pork and salads, some folks had the seafood, and we digested for a few minutes
before we headed for th 8pm night dive. Not many folks here to do it, it was just us three from Chicago- so we ‘had it
all to ourselves’. Seems that many from Rusty’s Salt Lake City group went to Geo’s Restaurant in nearby French
Harbour.

We found several critters in the shallows, right as we began our dive. Lots of large brown Shrimp (excuse the
technical nomenclature there) , many 3” in length, plus many smaller ones including Banded Coral Shrimp, tiny baby
Caribbean Lobsters, and lots of dazed, sleepy fish.

We found a 10” Parrot Fish in his cocoon, they spin this mucous bubble when they really want to get into a deep
sleep. It costs them a lot of energy to do this, and they are very zonked- so one never touches the outer membrane that
encases them- lest they be spooked and have to return to alert. These are fairly common if you keep looking, but it’s
always good to explain to others what they might see- as the membrane is fairly transparent and escapes the notice of
most divers at first glance.

As we went out on the chain that connects CoCo View to the Prince Albert, alert divers noticed 2” Octopus being as
cautious as any 2” creature might be. They didn’t stick around long to be examined!

At the buoy where we hang the CCV Strobe Light to mark the channel, it becam apparent that one of our group had
neglected to take his weights. While he was on the surface coming slowly to the realization that he had fubar’d his
dive, he got zapped by a Box Jelly, which he was lucky enough to see before it popped him. He returned ashore, got
his Dee DooRag, his weights and rejoined us at the Prince Albert.

While he did that, we went East to CoCo View Wall and at 32fsw, there they were, the Yellow Cup Coral. Photos
were taken and we headed back WSW to the Prince Albert for the remainder of our dive. Along the way we
encountered a huge 11” Slipper Lobster that enjoyed the things our lights attracted.

On the Prince Albert wreck, we also fed Crabs with the critters that our lights attracted. This is undoubtedly why the
corals and Basket Stars on the PA Wreck grow so large so very quickly- many divers feed them simply by looking at
them with flashlights, inadvertantly attracting miniscule things that they eat.

It was there that our ‘weightless friend’ rejoined us and we immediately saw a 10” (fully ballooned up) Caribbean
Octopus. He was as skittish as most smaller specimens are, and although he did extend a tentative probing touch with
his tentacle, he wasn’t much for interaction. He did put on quite a display- I think he knew that he was caught in the
“bowl” formed by the smokestack of the ship. It’s an oval about 4x7’ and 3’ deep. He puffed up and then got small,
he went from turqouise blue to brick red before he had enough and slithered through a tiny crack into his hidey-hole.

We also found a tiny 2” Slipper Lobster and a 5” Bristle Worm. The return trip also offered a fleeting glimpse of two
Squid that decided they didn’t want to deal with divers tonight.

This morning, we jumped ship and went with Jessee and Richard to Lita’s Hole and Window to the Valley. Quite
often, Richard will do two moored boat dives instead of the usual plan. In that I had seen neither of these two dive
sites, we went along and checked them out. Jessee has a great eye, and although he picked out numerous Sea Horses
and Spotted Drums, he was leading a pretty tough crowd- they had seen it all. They did however enjoy the several
Juvenile Spotted Drums and the free swimming Green Morays- we had a 4 and 5 footer. We saw an Arrow Blenny
and Scorpionfish as well.

The Afternoon Boat dive took us to the new “Mr. Bud” Wreck. She is a 90’ shrimper placed in 55-70 of water at the
bottom. She offers multiple points of entry and exits as she had been prepped by torch wielding divemasters before
her final placement in September 2003. There is already considerable growth, mostly due to her shallow placement,
but also because of her decaying status before sinking. Critters like little nooks and crannies provided by rusting and
rusted thru structural members. The day dive showed us that she was absolutely lousy with Banded Coral Shrimp.
There seemed to be a lot of plant life, the lower level ‘skoogy’ variety beginning to take hold.

Some other boats reported a 9’ free swimming Nurse Shark, and others went off site to dive with the “Shark Dive”.
They not only had a good Shark feed, but they also did some swimming with the Sharks. I want to hear more about
that!

We did a ‘drop off’ dive on the way back to CCV on CoCoView Wall and were not disappointed. Captain Randy
from Texas did the full swim, but we opted for the “Geezer Drop Off” which was about 1/2 of the standard distance.
Still, we managed to find three widely seperated Juvenile Spotted Drums (Dee, maybe they moved?), numerous
Flounders for ‘Herself’ to annoy, plus the single most aggressive Banded Jaw Fish I have yet to encounter. She
found this little tyrant safe in his excavated hole surrounded precisely by butressing pebbles. A flashlight would
expose him at the bottom, jaw wide open like a Whale! He was showing us who was boss in no uncertain terms!

On the way in, “Herself” tried on the new Hydro-Optix wide angle mask and decided immediately that it was hers to
keep. We’ll have to negotiate that one.

We’re planning for our Thursday night dive, and looking forward to one last boat dive on Friday morning. I am not in
this crowd, as I have gloated about previously- I have another week. Everyone received their ‘CCV Eviction Papers’
today- the paperwork that explains your departure... except for me :wink:

Tough luck.

Wow Doc what a ride. Sounds like the diving is getting better and better.

BTW how did Pam like the Hydro-Optix mask? I still have not tried it. Is her vision 20-20?

My LDS said that if you wear glasses you will need to get contacts to be able to see clearly underwater with this mask but that the contacts would only be for use with the mask.

What a day! I bet Pam keeps that mask, just save your negotiating, Doc!

Dee:
What a day! I bet Pam keeps that mask, just save your negotiating, Doc!

Pam really liked the wide angle characteristics. She is only used to low volume masks without the need for purge exhausts. The learning curve lies ahead of her.

She, as I, had problems with close-up viewing.

I'll post more on that later and elsewhere (under equipment)

Yes, we will be buying another one. :)

SURVIVOR ROATAN, Dateline: CoCoView, Day 6, Friday May 21, 2004

Thursday night’s Night Dive was well attended, with maybe 14 divers making the shore entry. I went out with tow
young newlyweds from Louisiana, both Doctors (what a naming mess that was!). The lady never had been out after
dark, but showed no fear and great enthusiasm. The young man had three night dives and a MotoMarine to boot.

We saw the usual CoCo View night dive stuff, he spotted a huge Lobster and we observed the internal organs of a
Medusa Worm by casting a very bright light across it’s length. The rest of the dive was pretty ho-hum, but NOT for
them. They had a ball with the Basket Star on the Starboard Aft davit (his usual spot) and we found another Basket
Star- this one amidships. He is quite blackish-brown, and I think he was the one who lived atop the forecastle for
many years.

Fantasy Island joined us by taking out three divers aboard their 8x15’ work pram and they did backrolls above us on
entry. Their flashlights on the surface for a protracted period seemed to attract the Box Jellies towards them- hope
they were ouchless! I was just about to agree to my buddy’s persistent warning that he was at 1500 psi (No big deal
on the Prince Albert, leaving her at 1000 is quite sufficient- we usualy take off at 800 or so).

He suddenly spotted our ‘pet octopus’ who is located often just forward of the aft davit I just mentioned. He has his
office set up in a hidey hole that is rotted through a cylindrical cleat structure just aft of the pilot house. Spread out,
he is just larger than a small garbage can lid, maybe 22” across when puffed out. He wasn’t terribly playful or touchy,
but he did excite and amuse our new divers!

This morning? Friday usualy brings out the last minute, gotta-gettem-in divers, and today as we headed out to
Connie’s Dream, the boat was “packed” with 14 divers. Now, these CCV boats are set up to accomodate some 40+
tanks, so that would mean maybe 22 divers. The first day, you might see 16 total, but by Tuesday it tapers off to
between 9 and 12. There’s a lot of room on the boats. Most folks get so enamored with the shore dive that they opt to
do that instead.

Connie’s Dream is pretty far West, maybe 22 minutes from CCV, but the seas were flat and calm. We saw numerous
Sea Horses and unfortunately, Ossman’s ‘pet’ Frog Fish was camera shy today. Captain Randy ran out of battery
power unfortunately and he had to become simply an excellent ‘critter gitter’ using his hunting eye and not his photo
sense.

Lunch was missed by many who went Island Touring and over to the mainland for the Whitewater Rafting trip. I
believe that the Rafting deal cost about $130 total extra, but the Island Tour depends upon what you might like to do.
There are a lot of options. Some just took a quick trip into town with Uncle Alex as driver to do some shopping. I
sent Donny & Paul with $30 and a note to Alex- I now have more Vanilla than I will be allowed to import back to the
US. This however, will be a problem for “Herself” who is leaving tomorrow (Saturday) with all of the other
1-weekers. I will begin week 2. Pam paid her bill for the week... $18

Tulio’s trip to Calvin’s Crack was highlighted by Whale Shark sightings. The boat was almost atop of the fish that
were being pursued. There were maybe 2 Whale Sharks, but no close encounters. Seahorses, Flamingo Tongues and
Toadfish were seen.

The water temps have been 82-85 degrees, depending upon depth. There have been 88 degree readings at the surface,
and in the shallows of CCV’s front yard, we had consistent 88 & 89 degree readings.

Doc Radowski, the namesake of all of the dive sites has arrived and will stay here for a few weeks. We plan on going
out tomorrow while the others are at the airport. He will have mask, fins, snorkel- I will have SCUBA gear... that
should make us about equal. We found out that we both acquired our nome de’ guerre in exactly the same manner.
Funny how you know somebody for 25 years and never know the simple things.

I have to say goodbye to everyone I’ve met from Salt Lake, Houston, Chicago and other places- first dinner and then
the Party on the Cay with Rum Punch and Fire Dancers. It will be sad to see them go.

Too bad for them :wink: I’ll be checking in from this terminal through 5/29

With Pam having to leave in the morning, are still unscathed? :D Hope you sleep well and safely tonight!

Thanks for the most excellent reports....it helps!

BTW....how is the flamingo campaign going?

Dee:
BTW....how is the flamingo campaign going?

Pam has decided that c12 will henceforth be known as the Flamingo Suite... you'll see!

Now here's the news:

SURVIVOR ROATAN, Dateline: CoCoView, Day 7, Saturday May 22, 2004

Last night’s departure festivities were highlighted by the “Fire Dancers” and exacerbated by the bottomless bucket o’
Rum Punch. The limbo becomes quite a bit easier with Rum involved.

The homeless were shown the door at 0800 and they were loaded aboard the launch to return to ‘civilization’... we,
the lucky “2 Weekers” waved bye-bye from the dock. Well, it was a quick wave, we had diving to do.

At 0900 we all boarded the one dive boat and the 9 of us went off on a glassy smooth ocean to dive off of French
Key. Three islands of Cayos Cochinos were visible to the South- this explained the glow we noted before dawn on
the Eastern horizon- it was the lights from Guanaja. It was so clear, I have never before seen those sights in the 52
weeks total I’ve spent at CCV.

The smooth surface transmitted light quite well. We saw the huge Barrel Sponges that this area is known for, plus
sevreal Sea Horses and Squid.

Saturday Lunch is known as “Cheeseburger in Paradise”, so there were honest to goodness french fries as well. Dive
fuel.

1400 hrs Boat Dive, way East, 20 minutes on the glassy sea, no Whale Sharks today, but we visited Neverstain Bight
and were delighted with a huge Puffer Fish that played tag the whole dive. A Spotted Drum, both juveniles and a
large adult were seen.

The drop off dive on CCV Wall was fun with numerous Squid, Spotted Eagle Rays and Sailfin Blennies. The 6”
Baracuda patrolled the beach area in 5” of water.

The State Bird of Roatan, the No-See-Um eagerly awaits the new meat offered by the impending new arrivals. They
have been pretty much so non existant this last week, we’ll see what happens now!

I’m getting ready to do a night dive, and hope to see some old friends as they arrive... and meet some new ones, too.

Hi Roatan man

I have stayed at ccv and loved it but one question i have heard rumours is it true that Mr Bill has sold up it will be a sad say to see him go

hey RM, See if you can get a picture taken of yourself (out of the water) for your profile while your there, I think most of us who have never met you would like to see what you look like! BTW, thanks for the great trip reports. WOW! 52 time to CCV! is that the record? are you some sort of stockholder? Man, what I wouldn't give to be able to go that often down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom