SURVIVOR RAOATAN: OutDive, OutDrink, OutSleep...CoCo View Day 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a persistent 4” Juvenile Spotted Drum that had claimed a rock pile in the middle of a swim thru at Calvin’s Crack. His throne was highlighted by the perfect shaft of sunshine as it filtered thru the rocks from above.

Oh, Man...wish I could see that in person! Juv. Drums and Calvin's ...two of my favorites!

Give TruckDiver a big ol' Swampers howdy for me. LOL....now maybe he'll believe me about CCV!

keep on keepin on!

SURVIVOR ROATAN, Dateline: CoCoView, Day 10, Tuesday May 25, 2004

Short and Sweet... why gild the lilly?

Last Night Monday’s Night Dive:
Free swimming Rough File Clams. Doesn’t sound like much until you’ve seen ‘em.

Tuesday Morning:
Mary’s Place. Looks better than ever, lots of regrowth. Also did a quick side trip to Lita’s Hole.

Tues Morn Drop-off:
The big green Moray Eel has returned to the Wreck of the Prince Albert. He looks good. Encountered the same (?)
huge Spotted Eagle Ray in the shallows of CoCo View Front Yard in 3 fsw.

Tuesday Afternoon:
Green Morays in love? They were pretty friendly. Same with the Flounders. Love was in the air.

Tuesday All Day Utila boat dive:
A medium sized Whale Shark was spotted and snorkeled with three times. The all day trip was worth the bother after
all :wink:

Not bad for a Tuesday. :11ztongue

(PS- I was not there for this Whale Shark sighting, and I never shoot pix anyway- I will encourage photogs to post!)

See y'all manana.

Doc....have you seen the Frogfish yet? I think they found it on the Calvin's Crack dive on our trip. Glad the Green Moray is back on the PA. Linda got pictures of the next generation of Green Morays getting started!

SURVIVOR ROATAN, Dateline: CoCoView, Day 11, Wednesday May 26, 2004

Orcas.

Spotted em, ran out after 'em. Didn't catch 'em. Prolly for the best.

Otherwise? The usual dreary diving. Viz opened up to 180 feet for a short while this a.m.

Calvin's Crack and Mr. Bud. Getting fueled for the night dive.

Another crummy day at CoCoView.

SURVIVOR ROATAN, Dateline: CoCoView, Day 12, Thursday May 27, 2004

I was served with eviction papers today. CCV puts info about your departure on the bed on Thursdays. Today it was
my turn.

It has been a great two weeks of diving, and if it all holds together, I’m looking at 62 dives.

Last night was a ‘solo dive’ for me as most went out on the ‘boat night dive’. I’m too cheap plus I like the shore dive
too much, so I stayed here with great result. Three small Octopuppies on the chain, 1”, 4” and 6”. None were playful
or communicative and one inked me.

9 seperate Orange Ball Corellamorphs on the wreck, and since I was the first and only visitor that night, I conclude
that even a slight invasion by dive lights is enough to make them pack up and go home. Previous nights I only saw
three maybe five of them.

This morning, we did Calvins Crack (I jumped boats so I could do it the third or fourth time in two weeks) and I did
it with my new dive buddy, Tom, who has been dry for 10 years. After some minor fussing about, he got his buoyancy
and off we went. Once again, we saw the Juvenile Spotted Drum as well as the adult.

On the drop off back home, we saw the 16” Spotted Eagle, and also was seen a Southern Stingray of 2’ spand as well
as the most dangerous creature on the reef, the Mantis Shrimp was well out of his hole. Anemone Shrimps have been
quite visible.

The Afternoon dive, I returned to the new Mr Bud Wreck to complete the mapping survey for the dive sight briefing
graphic.

The participants in the Shark dive had a ball. They say it was well run and attended. The beasts were close enough to
be touched- altho ill advised.

Oh, BTW, there seems to be yet another colony of Garden Eels (or do you call them a "crop"?) in the front yard. These are at the far E corner of the buoyancy diamonds, I counted 7.

Many folks are packing off to Geo’s or Romeros restaurant in French Harbor, but once again, I’ll hange here for a
night dive, thank you :wink:

Too much diving to do.

eat night-dive sleep eat dive dive eat nap dive dive eat night-dive

That’s the CoCoView cycle.

Thanks for the daily thrills! I only have 352 days until my next visit.

Parrotfish, I don't have Randy's photos. I saw him last night at our club meeting but I didn't even get a chance to see them.

Thanks Dee I will see you next weekend at SeaSpace.

Doc, It has been a short 2 weeks. Thanks for all of you posts. 35 more days for me. I am going to try and remember where you found all your pets so I can visit them as well.

Did you remember to get shoe sizes?

SURVIVOR ROATAN, Dateline: CoCoView, Day 13, Friday May 28, 2004

Thursday night's Night Dive... 1/2" mini Squid, plus on the top of the wreck, a Decorator Crab sashayed on by. Two Seahorses in love... about 20' North of the Starboard Aft hole in the Prince Albert Wreck- in a patch of bottom growth scooge. Locked in a loving embrace under a half moon.

Friday Morn- Mary's Place where I headed along the wall just a short ways to the east, maybe in 45fsw and found Scutt's Slot. It's a 70 foot long overhead environment with little clearance on several occasions. Look and you'll find it.

I had visions as I entered it alone of the newspaper story in reference to them not finding me for weeks. Solo diving in an overhead environment is dumb, but talking someone out of the fabled Mary's Place to join you is not going to happen. I did both Scutt's Slot, then did Mary's Place one way, then the other, up and back.

The drop off dive was of immediate gratification with two Spotted Eagles, one Sea Horse, and a 6" Squid.

Now it's time to dry the gear and pack for Saturday's flight home. Many are out on island tours, Dolphin trips to AKR, Jungle Canopy Tours or just hitting the front yard for one last snorkel.

CoCoView.... Ahhh- the smell of it! :11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom