Suunto, Aeris, Oceanic????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that the old Suunto is conservative, Oceanic/Aeris is liberal analysis is no longer accurate.

Many Oceanic (and Aeris?) models now have their dual algorithm which allows a user to set the computer to be as conservative or liberal as they like and even alter the algorithm on different dive trips or dive days (I don't think you can, and would not want to switch it between dives).

Attachments

• dual algorithm.jpg
    dual algorithm.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 55
The Aeris and Oceanic are the same computer but in a different form factor. You have to handle each to see which shape you prefer.

The Suuntos give you a choice of Cobra or Cobra 3. The 3 has the digital compass which you may or may not like. They're more conservative than the Oceanic/Aeris.

Adam

Both Oceanic, Aeris and Suunto are good products.

Oceanic is a little more user friendly.

Suunto has a better dive log software program.

Oceanic has more dealers and is a little better on traditional turn around time for service and repairs. If you ever travel to dive, this should be a factor for you......

Suunto is more conservative on calculations ( you get less bottom time ). Their algorithm is a little tougher to work with if in the future you want to go with another brand of computer as a back up, say a wireless system. You would have to stay in the Suunto family, whereas, the other brands are usually pretty close in calculations.

Then again, Oceanic is now doing dual alg for that purpose.

Sent you a PM, let me know if you need the hook up...... :wink:

Keep in mind that the old Suunto is conservative, Oceanic/Aeris is liberal analysis is no longer accurate.

Many Oceanic (and Aeris?) models now have their dual algorithm which allows a user to set the computer to be as conservative or liberal as they like and even alter the algorithm on different dive trips or dive days (I don't think you can, and would not want to switch it between dives).

True, but the Pro Plus 2 is one of their last not to use the dual algorithm, it's still the liberal one.

Adam

So far, we have classes for 3 Air Integrated, Nitrox capable, console computers:

Also, all of them are available in our scuba diving simulator.

Regards,

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Can I ask you if the ProPlus 2 has an altitude setting or does it compensate automatically? (An altitude setting may be useful for making the comp more conservative).

Adam

so, you guys are saying that i can't go wrong with either one of those three???

I have in my dive closet 2 cressi, 1suunto, and a sherwood all failed from floading while under warranty and all wanted more to fix then i paid for units.
I am curious, Flaski, do these computers have user-serviceable batteries? How did they justify charging you for repair even though they were under warranty?

Can I ask you if the ProPlus 2 has an altitude setting or does it compensate automatically? (An altitude setting may be useful for making the comp more conservative).

Adam

The PP2 has automatic altitude adjustment

......Many Oceanic (and Aeris?) models now have their dual algorithm .....
So far only Oceanic has dual algorithm: OC1, Veo 1.0, Veo 2.0, Veo 3.0 and Geo 2.0. We have already released classes for 3 of them (Veo 1.0, Veo 3.0 and Geo 2.0) .... and classes for the other 2 will come soon.
So far I have no indication on when Aeris will have dual algorithm.

.......I don't think you can ...... switch it (algorithm) between dives.
Yes you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom