Suunto Cobra issue - seems stuck in dive mode here in my bedroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2ndStage

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently decided to move from "certified but very inexperienced", to "certified with some equipment so I can do some local diving and gain experience". Among other things, I purchased a used regulator set with a Suunto Cobra dive computer on it. I just changed the battery in the dive computer, and when I closed the case it came up with a default time and date. I pushed the mode button (on the right) and it started beeping incessantly and appears to be behaving as though I'm on a dive. It shows an air time of 0, PSI of 0 (it's not hooked up to a tank), dive time of 122, etc.

I've never before used a computer but I have skimmed the manual trying to find out what to do, and I have pushed all the buttons in various combinations. Any help getting this thing in a mode I can setup / use would be greatly appreciated. I'm not yet qualified to post attachments or I'd include a picture.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 08:49 PM ----------

Just found this thread (actually, ScubaBoard suggested it):
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/151202-suunto-cobra-stuck-dive-mode.html

In summary it says a good soak in warn water with vinegar or bleach might help the situation. Also said there are some service problems with Suunto / Aqualung used equipment but I'll reserve judgment on all of that for now. I'll follow-up and let you know how it goes.

Unless directed by the MFG do not soak your dive year in any chemicals as this could cause damage to the components. As you stated you are very inexperienced so do not attempt to repair your own equipment if you do not know what you are doing; have a PROFESSIONAL inspect and repair your equipment. These components are life support components it is not worth risking your life over to just save a few bucks and perform your own fixes. The computer may appear to be working after your experiment but there may be an underlying issue and cause a malfunction during a dive and potentially provide false readings. Also before purchasing year you should verify it is working or find out all the info about service dates of the equipment, but with any used equipment I have it fully serviced by my trusted tech to ensure it is in proper working order. As you have seen with your dive computer the seller may have said yes it works but it needs a new battery but they might not have disclosed that there is an issue with the computer only to have you find out later after replacing the battery.

Do a search here for "suunto bad sensor", and you'll get an idea that this has been going on for a while.

If you find someone willing and capable of repairing the Cobra, please post back as I have several of these dive computers with the same or similar issue.

Also, a dive computer should not be considered life support.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Thanks very much for the pointer to the service center. I'll give them a call.

It's official - Dave at the Suunto Regional Service Center said there is no fix. Dip it in whatever you want, it's not fixing the problem once your computer says it's diving when you're on dry land. Something about a gel that coats the sensor that dries out or something. Thanks very much for the feedback that helped me get to an answer. I wasn't happy to hear that it's irreparable, but better to know and move on...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom