Suunto Cobra Quick Disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I originally had the same thought about the QD coming undone at depth. So, I TRIED to do it in my living room. You can't. If you look closely at the connection lugs, they are built so pressure increases the effort needed to disconnect it. To disconnect I have to bleed the reg all the way- and I mean ALL THE WAY- down. No leaks or orther problems that I see. I would think it is as likely/unlikely a failure point as a swivel mount to a console or the fitting at the first stage.

Great advice and testimonials from everyone......Thanks!
Ive heeded your advice and ordered the quick disconnect. I think I'll have my LDS install it for me. For those out there who may be considering purchasing one, I payed only $41 at Scubastore.com
My LDS was wanting $80. for it. I also got my cobra from there for only $420., and they shipped it from Spain in only 4 days!!! Great place to save a ton of money on all kinds of quality scuba gear!
Thanks again everyone!

What happens if you get water in the pressure sensor? That is the reason that I didn't buy one because I thought I might damage the computer by getting water and maybe salt onto the pressure sensor while I am connecting the dry computer (from my room) to the wet hp hose (from my dive locker). Anyone have any views on that?

There is a valve in the hose to keep water out. What happens if you get water in your reg? Just blow in it to clear the water before you connect it.

I have one. It was given to me as a gift from a good friend of mine. I usually leave it on my Cobra most of the time and haven't had a minutes trouble out of it. There is no way you can unhook it under pressure and it hasn't leaked a drop thus far either while not under pressure or not. But, always a but, I always take it off before I go on a trip. Why? Simple, in general divers are an honest bunch, but I don't want to tempt them by waving a easily lifted $650 piece of equipment in front of them. :) Someone could easily unhook it and be gone with it before you knew it. Course if you were on a boat, the captain would most likely hang someone before the boat got back into port. But on beach? Well, you get the idea.

AWESOME thread thatnks to all....on my way to my LDS to order one

Just purchased two last week and had them installed. We installed them on the first stage, we had a little trouble installing them on the computer end. I guess it really doesnt matter does it?

Anyway, we like the purchase.

waterdogs

I bought a quick disconnect on my Cobra as well.

The salesman said that great thing is that you can disconnect the computer to bring it to your room to log dives.

The bad thing is you can disconnect the computer and leave it in your room when the rest of your gear is on the boat.

It might pay to rig up a sort of "Remove Before Flight" streamer to your gear bag to remind you to retrieve the computer from the nightstand before heading off for the boat.

DSJ once bubbled...
The bad thing is you can disconnect the computer and leave it in your room when the rest of your gear is on the boat.

Bummer. Is this from actual experience? :wink:

Marc :jester:

Experience yes,
Mine, no.

I've just bought it so I haven't had an opportunity to leave it behind. That is just something I would do however so I'm going to work on a signal scheme like I mentioned above so I don't.

David

Back
Top Bottom