Suunto Cobra - Spontaneous Reset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Suunto Vyper. Approximately a year and a half ago my wife and I were diving in Florida. We had done several dives over 2-3 days. On our last dive (night dive) we were doing our safety stop. I checked my computer; 47 minute dive, max. depth 40-50 feet, current depth 20 feet. Approximately a minute or so later I checked my computer again; 1 minute dive, max. depth 20 feet. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled. We finished the dive using my wife's computer luckily we were almost done and I knew how long I had left to finish my safety stop.

I used the computer a couple more times to test it after we returned home with no issues. The battery was not low.

When I called Suunto about the problem they told me that they had had a few instances of this happening and that the chances of them actually finding the problem was low. They recommended replacing the computer unfortunately the computer was out of warranty and I had to pay a pro-rated amount to get a replacement computer.

Between my wife and I we have 2 Vypers and 1 Cobra and this is the only problem we have had. We are still pleased with the Suunto products.

Hope this helps.

Wade

pasley:
I took this quistion to the pros at SUUNTO. Here is their respoonse:

Thanks a lot for going directly to the source on my behalf. I'll be picking up a new battery this week, and keeping a close watch on the unit for a while.

The good news is that I think this might the excuse I needed to pick up a small backup computer/watch. Maybe a little mosquito or Casio...

Dave

Send it back to Suunto.

I suspect they'll be thrilled to get it back and send you a new one for free (check first), since it's cheaper than getting their ass sued off if it fails again and you get injured.

Dive computers contain a lot of software (and hardware), and there's no way to tell from the outside exactly what the problem is. I can tell you that currently, computer-based consumer-grade devices are not self healing, and whatever was wrong with it is still wrong.

It may be something as obvious as a loose battery, or something as subtle as a few damaged bytes in ROM that cause a reset whenever a specific set of conditions occur.

Terry

davehicks:
Suunto Cobra - Spontaneous Reset

I just returned from a week long trip in Mexico and everything went just great; with the exception of my Cobra. After doing the first dive of the 5th (of 7) day I was about to reset the nitrox mix to 36% and noticed that it was 6pm on Jan 1st 2000. After scratching my head for a moment I realized that the computer had completely reset. Time gone, data gone, repetitive dive profile and nitrogen exposure lost!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom