Suunto D9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kex

New
Reaction score
Dear friends! I wanted to ask about your experience/impressions with Suunto D9. Seems to be pretty advanced instrument with sexy looks, but what about real life performace? For example I am little bit concerned about visibility of numbers especially in dark, murky waters.

Thanks for the thread! I hoped that there would be more recent comments as couple of guys promised to share their experience after more thorough diving with D9!

Well, here I can get D9 (with transmitter) for something like 830 EUR which is just 80 EUR more than corresponding Vytec, but D9 has more functions, looks better, has this Deep stops option, etc. I am somewhat concerned about size of the readings as there was discussion (related to Nemo though) pointing to this aspect of smaller size wrist comps. Besides I wonder how easy it is to operate buttons of D9 which are clearly on the smaller side especially in thicker gloves.

kex:
Dear friends! I wanted to ask about your experience/impressions with Suunto D9. Seems to be pretty advanced instrument with sexy looks, but what about real life performace? For example I am little bit concerned about visibility of numbers especially in dark, murky waters.

All I know is that, at least in europe, they issued a recall of the first batch because of a faulty algorithm. A commercial diver friend of mine got one of them and was lucky enough to be experienced enough to tell that the readings were off.

Later versions should be corrected and working so just make sure it's not a leftover first batch.

I have dove ~35 times with mine....love it so far. I carry many lights, liftbags, and a sonar. The last thing I want is another hose or computer dangling.

Here are the positives:
1. Looks great.
2. Super easy to use.
3. The deepstop option works wonderful.
4. Small enough to wear to and from diving....I don't wear it daily as a watch though. I will on actual vacations though.
5. Has a built in alarm clock.
6. Nice download feature - just plug the cable in and click in the software one time....fully automatic.

Here are the drawbacks:
1. Bubbles from regulator can interfere and cause it stop reading momentarily....but I have only experienced this a few times when I was sitting on the bottom of the lake learning how to use it.......just be aware this might happen. Just quickly reach around an put your wrist next the the transmitter....no problem.
2. Will stop transmitting somewhere around 170-200 psi.....but we should be pushing ourselves that far...so it really isn't Suunto's fault. Again, just be aware of this.
3. If you have selected a compass heading and stored it - if at any time during the dive you press the button to 'bookmark' a location - it will then reset your compass heading to that bookmark. I learned that the hard way. Basically if you are relying on the D9 for a compass - never bookmark anything during that dive.

Back
Top Bottom