SUUNTO GEKKO - new computer from Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter once bubbled...

Dont those contacts also double as the water activation contacts?

Yes, thats what they are. And, it is not pc-downloadable.

They have also gotten rid of the Favor computer. SO this seems to be the low end computer now from Suunto...

No More just straight AIR computers... kinda following the trend in the industry for the push towards Nitrox...

this thing has a "reset" (e.g. clear tissue loading memory) function, which makes it great for rental outfits - which could not have, up until now, rented these out unless they were willing to let them "sit" for 48 hours between uses.

I hope that function is well-protected so that it can't be accidentally used by a diver between repetitive dives though! :boom:

jamiei once bubbled...
three contacts? The vyper only has TWO contacts....

Yes, there are only TWO.... two many beers last nite, everything is a wittle bwurry...

mine is a suunto favor and still works well for me...
although it's not yet nitrox compatible, no audible alarms and does not have lights...
i don't do nitrox anyway and i have a light when i do night dives...
and i check my computer every so often especially while ascending...

and i've seen the site mwilding posted regarding gekko...
if i have the chance, i think i'd still buy the vyper...

This was described to me by my LDS as a new air/nitrox computer for about the same price as what was previously air only.

I'm trying to learn what I can so as to buy my own equipment. What is meant by not having guage mode?

Bill

Gauge mode is where the computer acts as a 'gauge' and only tracks the time and depth, and not give nitrogen loading or oxygen partial pressure information. I believe the ascent rate indicator still works the same way as in other modes.

The reason to have this is if you are doing decompression diving following your own pre-planned schedule, or more importantly if you are using gasses such as trimix that the computer does not support.

In gauge mode you get depth, time, temperature and (for AI computers) tank pressure. You also get the ascent rate indicator and the 3 minute "safety stop" timer will function at depths of under 19' once you decend below 19'.

paulwlee once bubbled...
Gauge mode is where the computer acts as a 'gauge' and only tracks the time and depth, and not give nitrogen loading or oxygen partial pressure information. I believe the ascent rate indicator still works the same way as in other modes.

The reason to have this is if you are doing decompression diving following your own pre-planned schedule, or more importantly if you are using gasses such as trimix that the computer does not support.

Thanks for your explanation.

For divers (like me) not anticipating doing decompreesion diving or using trimix, is this a reasonable choice for a computer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom