suunto gekko vs aeris atmos 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
im looking to get my first comp and im trying to decide which one of these i should get, suunto gekko or the aeris atmos 2? i already have a spg and compass console so im going to get one of these comps in wrist form. which should i get? im also open for suggestions on other wrist comps.

They're both good computers, get whichever you can get the best deal on. One thing to consider is that the Atmos2 is downloadable if you have the cable, where the only way to download the gekko is to hack it. The software to do the hack is available from a SB member, do a search and you will find it. Not a big deal, it just depends on what you want....

I dive with people who have a variety of computers. What we are seeing: Gekko gives the least bottom time for the second of a two tank dive. Atmos 2 gives the most bottom time in that situation. All others are in-between. Some people equate this with safety.

You may wish to read up before you decide.

Stu.

Firefyter:
They're both good computers, get whichever you can get the best deal on. One thing to consider is that the Atmos2 is downloadable if you have the cable, where the only way to download the gekko is to hack it. The software to do the hack is available from a SB member, do a search and you will find it. Not a big deal, it just depends on what you want....

I just went and looked at a new gekko on saturday, and it had the pc-cable connector in the back. My question is, if the conenctor is present and cable is available, why do you have to hack it to download the log?
I am confused because I thought the gekko was not pc-downloadable from what i've read about them, but when i see the computer in person, the guy behind the counter tells me it is downloadable. *shrug* very confused...

BTW- Bruce, this thread has uncanny timing as I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you. Want a computer and these are the 2 i am trying to decide on.

clowe:
I just went and looked at a new gekko on saturday, and it had the pc-cable connector in the back. My question is, if the conenctor is present and cable is available, why do you have to hack it to download the log?
I am confused because I thought the gekko was not pc-downloadable from what i've read about them, but when i see the computer in person, the guy behind the counter tells me it is downloadable. *shrug* very confused...

BTW- Bruce, this thread has uncanny timing as I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you. Want a computer and these are the 2 i am trying to decide on.

Suunto made the Vyper to be downloadable. They then made the Gekko (which is cheaper) by simply taking a Vyper and eliminating some features in software (plus light). The "hack" CIBDiving wrote, simply tells the Gekkp it's a Vyper. It changes a single byte of data IIRC. Now the price difference, for many, is much harder to justify!

Rainer:
Suunto made the Vyper to be downloadable. They then made the Gekko (which is cheaper) by simply taking a Vyper and eliminating some features in software (plus light). The "hack" CIBDiving wrote, simply tells the Gekkp it's a Vyper. It changes a single byte of data IIRC. Now the price difference, for many, is much harder to justify!

Does the hack give you the features back? looks like i need to search for the thread now. Thanks Rainer

Talk about timely. I went diving in Dutch St. Maarten for a week in October and dove with a great gang from Dive Safaris dive shop there. They suggested that I consider getting a dive computer. As they put it, I had been diving on their computers. Which is sort of correct. I did follow my dive tables (never told them) but found it easier to follow their computer. They suggested an inexpensive unit was the Gekko. I too plan to put it on my wrist. So I've been shopping around and now have three different models I'm interested in. The Gekko, the Mares M2 (about 90% of my equipment is Mares), and the Atmos 2 (only because Scubatoys and Diversdirect have them on sale).

At a loss which is better. I don't do Nitrox yet, but I plan to take the course next spring (it is becoming winter here in Quebec and diving is winding down). Because I plan to eventually dive Nitrox, I thought that I should get a computer that can handle it. Besides that criteria, I'm not too picky.

I'll be following this thread for the next few days to hear comments.

Mark :)

clowe:
Does the hack give you the features back? looks like i need to search for the thread now. Thanks Rainer

hack :confused: HACK :redhot: And I bet you think Sliced bread is just a hack of a good loaf eh? :cussing:

Naw, you're right, it's a hack. :D
A better description of how it works is:

It tells the Gekko to tell Suunto's dive log software that it's talking to a vyper and thus should be downloaded.

So what I'm getting from this discussion is that besides the formula used, one being more conservative than the other, there is no real difference. Both are good computers and will do about the same fundtions. Am I correct? If so then it just depends on price and availability.

I'll make my decision for tomorrow when I plan to buy one.

Thanks,

Mark :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom