Suunto Mosquito: verdict?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't own one, but at over $300 it's hardly a best buy IMO. You can get an Aeris Atoms II for $225 right now. It's easier to read, less expensive, has much better battery life, and based on complaints here, MUCH more reliable. The Mosquito also lacks gauge mode which most every computer on the market does offer.

The only advantage of the Suunto is it can act as a watch. I'm not sure why people feel it necessary to wear a somewhat ugly watch full time to save the 20 seconds that it takes to strap on a dive computer which is MUCH easier to read at depth.

I like to wear my computer on my right arm, and I wear a wet or dry suit, so I'd have to remove any dive computer to switch arms or put on a suit in any event.

Opinions are like..well... hmm, so your mileage may vary! :D

ShakaZulu:
Make sure you get the one that looks like this (the newer ones may have green in stead of the white, not sure)........the older ones need to have their software upgraded, then they are fine. Mine started to read 15ft at the surface, since the upgrade it's been fine.

That's the first I heard about that. You have a link on Suunto's page about that problem or how to id the version in the watch?

I ask because I have one for sale....http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=159073

I have a Mosquito, used for some year now it's a good little computer.

However I am finding now, perhaps aging eyes and sometimes poor viz, that I prefer the Gekko with it's bigger display. So I carry the Mosquito as a backup computer, with the Gekko as primary.

I have been using my Mosquito for a year now and I have come to like the little bugger very much.

For normal recreational diving, it's easy to use and being able to change the battery yourself (since it does go through them a bit rapidly) is a HUGE plus!

However, I also am not very fond of the Dive Manager Software. It's a crappy little application that looks and works like some wannabe software developer wrote it in his basement. The database was built with MS Access and after a hundred dives or so, it can become a mess if you try and manually add/remove dives from the software. Also, if you decide you want to step into decompression diving, do NOT use this computer.

Overall, it is hard to beat for the price and I'm still happy with mine.

thanks all, great feedback....

drew52:
Ok so here is one against the mosquito. My wife has one or should I say 3. Yes shes about to get her third replacement (hopefully but me i'd rather buy her a different computer altogether). Both the other two selfdestructed after less than a year. The 1st one lost all its buttons, started reseting itself during and after dives and sometimes would only turn on at the end of a dive. The 2nd one and about 8 months later started reseting itself and on the last dive she used it it registed 176ft when we were at about 115ft. We are now awiting to see if she shall get another replacement. If she does it will be no. 3 and I've heard this is not an isolated incident but rather a common problem.

Suunto are actually quite good but I would definately get a different model if you decide to go with them.

Crapped out was a little vague in my earlier post. The above issues are exactly what Ive experienced..

It has gauge mode, put it in free dive mode it will go into er mode after 5 minutes though. I have one and used it for recreational diving for about 300+ dives already however I recently use it as depth and bottom timer to 45m+ for about 3 times and now its acting up a bit. it would go into dive mode even on the surface, I would have to loosen the battery cover a bit for it to go back to normal.

If you just leave it in dive mode, after you have violated its deco schedule (most likely by using a deco gas) it will go into gauge mode and stay there for the repeat dives until you leave it out of the water for a couple days.

theskull

My wife and I both dive with the Mosquito. The logic of the information layout took both of us a little bit to get used to. But now it is no problem. Very conservative which we like and I new that before I bought it I was surprised how much more conservative it was than other computers on the dive boat. I will say that the alarm is hard to hear when diving with a hood. But it is a great value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom