Suunto or Uwatec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdelprete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I'm looking for some assistance in selecting my next dive computer. Right now I have an older Suunto favor and am looking to go to a Nitrox air integrated, hoseless system. I have looked at the Suunto Vytec and the Uwatec's. I know nothing of Uwatec but it has been recommended by a few people. I see they are easier to incorporate multiple tanks with transmitters (I'm not there yet but may be at some point - so thinking ahead). Suunto seems easy, I am familiar with them since I have one now, but they are more conservative on repetitive dives. Please, all comments, suggestions are welcome.

Jim

I have a Vytec and love it.. however, if you are looking for multi tank switching during the dive, I'd look at the Aeris elite T3 or the OCEANIC VT3 .. but I think these two are the same computer..

I have an Uwatec and love it, but you won't go wrong with whichever you choose. Go for Suunto if it suits your needs, or go for Uwatec if it's what you'll need later on. Both good choices IMO.

thanks guys...sounds almost like a 50/50 one way or the other....Jim

My wife dives the Suunto and I dive the Uwatec. The Uwatec software is better and I like have the three mixes. She likes the fact that hers is more menu-driven and intuitive. I think it mostly comes down to personal preference.

great info sharky. do you two find much different on repetitive dives as far as the suunto being more conservative with the NDL?

jdelprete:
great info sharky. do you two find much different on repetitive dives as far as the suunto being more conservative with the NDL?

I can't give you a good answer on that one since when we dive together, she often skips some of the dives I do. But, based on casual observation, while her NDLs are less, we have never run into a situation where she hits a NDL and had to end the dive or go shallower. And, that includes several weeks of liveaboards together. (We both dive Nitrox.)

If you do want the Uwatec to be more conservative, you can change the Microbubble Level setting to accomplish that. I set it on M1 since I dive 5-6 dives a day on liveaboards and am approaching 60 years old. Doesn't hurt to have an extra margin of safety!

One other thing of note on the Uwatec hoseless. I do a lot of U/W photography and the strobes interfere with the transmitter so I lose tank pressure readings sometimes. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else, since I can move the strobes away from my wrist to reconnect. Others have had the same experience. I don't know if that is true for the Suunto, since my wife has the gas integrated hose version.

Thanks yet again sharky. this is exactly the kind of info and experience I am looking for. I have heard one other issue with the Uwatech transmitter as well. So far I have been leaning to Suunto primarily because I have a Suunto now...

jdelprete:
using nitrox has resolved that issue with my Vytec...

I've had suunto, oceanic and now uwatec smart tec. I'd have to say that for user interface, ease of use, alarm programable, info during the dive and last but certainly not least, software interface - you can't beat Uwatec. Oceanic make great comps, but the software is garbage. Suunto support is useless. My recommendation is Uwatec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom