Suunto Stinger and Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, yep once in guage mode the "no fly" indicator goes on for 48 hrs and cannot be taken out of guage mode. I believe this is a safety mechanism because since it was in guage mode and does not know what mix you were diving - it has no clue what your OTU/CNS Clock or your N2 limits are. Hence it wants 48 hrs of no diving to zero out all of this.

Next, once in Nitrox mode; the computer will stay in Nitrox mode. But *if* a new dive series is started and no new O2% is set within the last 2hrs... It swaps to 21% O2 - but it stays in Nitrox mode. A new dive series is started when your "No Fly" goes off - your residual nitrogen goes to 0. So your OTUs and your CNS clock are also zeroed out.

Once again, I think that this is a safety issue... I guess the thought is that you might forget to reset to air but of course... being safe NITROX divers - - we always test our mix before diving and that would be the time to plug the new mix values into the computer.

Hey nickjb, Tell me about the Suunto with the palm, I thought the suunto software worked with windows. Does your palm have the right connection to hook up the suunto interface? I am curious.

I think this begs the question, why have an "air mode" at all on a nitrox capable computer?

I believe the Suunto manual recommends that if you're planning on diving Nitrox at all, to just leave the computer in Nitrox mode. Since air is 21% nitrox, there's no reason really to switch it to air mode ever.

I've been using a Vyper for about 3yrs now. I have 150 dives on it (still on the same battery) and all of those dives have been here in the great lakes. Still hasn't let me down yet. I'm thinking my next computer will be the Vytec but I'm still waiting to see if any more issues/bugs pop up.

a Stinger with about 40 dives, and a Cobra with <5. I set them in EAN (Nitrox) mode and leave them there. I just took a look at the Stinger. It's been almost 60 days since it's been in the water ;-0, and initailizing the computer, it starts in EAN mode, which is where I set it last. Checked the Cobra which was in the pool for a class last Saturday. It was set in EAN mode (at 21%) in Decmber. Still in EAN mode. Someone else posted that it will rever to 21% after a couple of hours. That it does. You can't change out of it (maybe the Stinger can to Free Dive mode) until it clears out

I'd have to dig out the maual and re-read it, but I didn't think they were supposed to automatically revert to air once set in EAN. On the stinger, I thought the only "atuomatic" switch was from free to either air or EAN after a five (?) minute free dive. Think they figure after 5 minutes, you're not still holding your breath? I certainly can't :wink:

I'd consider mine to be defective if it reverted to air without me manualy doing it.

cloro once bubbled...
The damn thing, when is on nitrox mode, doesn't switch back to air mode immediately : it takes a few weeks.

Just reread your post, and a question came up. Were you expecting it to do it automatically, or could you not manually get it back to air? I may have posted this in error of understanding you situation.

I don't understand what the big deal is about switching back to air.. Leave the silly thing in Nitrox mode and change the mix to 21%.. It will do it automatically after a few hours.. It also gets you in the habit of checking your settings before you jump in..
Once in Nitrox mode you can change mixes between every dive.. Works great..

raybo once bubbled...

I'd consider mine to be defective if it reverted to air without me manualy doing it.

Just reread your post, and a question came up. Were you expecting it to do it automatically, or could you not manually get it back to air? I may have posted this in error of understanding you situation.

Thanks for your comment Raybo.

Technically, when on Nitrox mode, it is supposed to switch back eventually... manually. However, the prob is that it satys locked in EAN mode. Suunto already fixed it once, returned it to me 2 months later and the prob was still there. Now, (according to seahunter I'm a lucky guy since they seem to be stiff on warranty) they agreed to give me a brand new one or upgrade it to a Vytec for 400$ more.

Whay I hate about the Stinger is that the stopwatch may not be used underwater. Also, the EAN is alway frozen... I really wonder what to do. On top of that, the PC interface for Stinger won't work with a Vytec. An extra 250$ !

sparky30 once bubbled...
I don't understand what the big deal is about switching back to air.. Leave the silly thing in Nitrox mode and change the mix to 21%..

That's what I've been doing all summer long... it is just annoying to have a computer and knowing that it isn't 100% functionnal. When you pay hundreds of $$ for that thing, you want it to work perfectly !

I know, I am a little fussy...

cloro once bubbled...

Whay I hate about the Stinger is that the stopwatch may not be used underwater. Also, the EAN is alway frozen... I really wonder what to do. On top of that, the PC interface for Stinger won't work with a Vytec. An extra 250$ !

Yeah, I know. I had to get the PC interface for the Cobra which is different than the Stinger's.

Check around on the boards though. People make Suunto interfaces for a lot less. Don't know which units they work with though.

I didn't know that the stopwatch didn't work underwater, but I've never had occasion to need it.

The price of the interface (link and software) is about $200 to $350 Canadian for almost all of the downloadable computers.
That's in the $125 to $225 US area which must be close to your price.
It wasn't so much the actual amount as it was the fact the feature is not perceived as being worth that much. As for volume sold, the distributors don't sell very many. When I ordered the two we purchased, they only had one in stock.
It ain't a big seller!!

Back
Top Bottom