Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No its not my first computer, currently use a suunto gekko (it was cheap and easy to use). I like the gekko a lot and want to stay with suunto, but it lacks a few things I want for the future (no gauge mode, no gas switching, only goes to 50% O2 etc). I'm not really looking at the vytec because of the AI, although I can always get the transmitter later if I want, its more for the other features it offers. As for the cobra, I'm not the biggest fan of console computers.

I ove my Vytec, which I use with the AI transmitter. I started with the Cobra. Then went to the Vytec. Then, I went back to the Cobra because I kept forgetting to code the Vytec untill I was ready to jump in. I am back with the Vytec because I really like having the guages on my wrist instead of on a "hosed" display clipped to me.

As Lynn pointed out, the Vytec display uses bigger fonts and is much more readable than the D9.

As far as the "digital compass", there is no such thing. There is a digital display for an analogue compass. The compass being read digitally is too small to be properly reliable. It does, however, interfere with the useable analogue compass strapped near the computer with the "digital computer" (both needles are magnetized).

If you're not interested in AI, why not save money and go with a Gekko or a Vyper? Unless, of course, you may want to add the transmitter later on.

I use the Vytec for Cold water as the buttons and display are larger and easier to both see and use with drygloves. Both have a stop watch for timing deco.

Are you saying that the Vytec (as well as the D6) has a stopwatch which you can set and reset for timing deco? Or do you mean that it counts you deco down for you?

Because I have been wishing for a way of timing with resolution greater than minutes (i.e. with seconds) underwater and my Vytec just doesn't give me that. I've been through the manual and used the computer countless times and never come across a stopwatch function.

If you mean the former, and not the latter, could you please provide more details?

Many thanks.

As far as i can see it (nor any of the suuntos) off per second stop watch and its a feature id REALLY like.

The Vytec has this really annoying habit of automatically resetting back to 21% in Nitrox mode after a given surface interval. You may have checked that it was still set to 32% moments earlier, but if it happened to reset itself back to air NDLs once you are underwater there is no way to correct it. At that point the choices are: (a) do the shorter dive assuming air NDLs, (b) do the longer dive assuming 32% and do the unneeded deco, or (c) do the longer dive assuming 32% and blow off the unneeded deco and risk "bending" the Vytec (which would lock out the computer for 48 hours).

I now have a Tec 2G that I mostly use in gauge mode, but one of the best things about it in computer mode is that all the settings that are hardwired on a Suunto are configurable on the Uwatecs. Like whether or not to automatically reset to 21% in Nitrox mode, and if yes, how many hours to wait (1-24) before doing so. :eyebrow: And IMO the average depth and stopwatch features in gauge mode are must haves.

John B thanks for the input, I mostly dive nitrox so that could be annoying. Does it happen all the time or intermittant?

John B thanks for the input, I mostly dive nitrox so that could be annoying. Does it happen all the time or intermittant?
Its not intermittent, the interval is a preprogrammed, hardwired setting. IIRC it was after one hour out of the water (or maybe it was after two hours). When I sold my Vytec I sold the manual along with it, so I don't have it here to check. FWIW, I was told recently by an instabuddy using the Vytec DS that it does the exact same thing.

Its 2hrs. I find that a useful feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom