Suunto Zoop issues (incorrect depth, won't turn off, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hui

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, just wondering if I could get some advice on my Zoop issue that I am experiencing at the moment.

Briefly, went for a dive 2h ago, and when I got in the water the Zoop immediately read ~12m. So I'm thinking, I may have pressed a button to display the logbook data, but somehow had a feeling this was not the case as it takes a lot of presses to get to that stage. I continued the dive as I have a backup computer (Veo 180nx) and when I got to 10m (according to my veo) the Zoop displayed a ridiculous depth of ~22.8m. So i limited my dive to 30 minutes surfaced, where at that point my Zoop was saying my deco time was like 45 mins.

Now (right this minute as i post) the display is telling my i should ascend immediately, and my ceiling height is 3m, dive time 136 minutes and the depth is 11.9m on land (in front of the computer). It appears to be borked for the lack of a better term. And yes the units on both are the same.

Any advice on how I can fix this problem?? Haven't come across problems like this before and have searched google as well as this site. Is the depth sensor somehow affected??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would take it back to the shop you bought from. Something is seriously wrong!!!!

Suunto, lately has been having some issues with their depth sensors. Last summer, as I was finishing up a dive with Open Water students, my HelO2 read a depth of 472 ft (144m), even though there was no possible (physical bottom) way I went any deeper than 25 ft (8m). In fact that quarry gets no deeper than 120 ft (40m).

If bought from a dealer, you need to take the computer back & have it sent back in to Aqualung. I took my HelO2 back & it was replaced in no time at all. Aqualung said that for some reason, the computer was "self diving".

Suunto, lately has been having some issues with their depth sensors. Last summer, as I was finishing up a dive with Open Water students, my HelO2 read a depth of 472 ft (144m), even though there was no possible (physical bottom) way I went any deeper than 25 ft (8m). In fact that quarry gets no deeper than 120 ft (40m).

If bought from a dealer, you need to take the computer back & have it sent back in to Aqualung. I took my HelO2 back & it was replaced in no time at all. Aqualung said that for some reason, the computer was "self diving".

Stormdiver, i think what you've described above is a terribly dangerous approach to instructing. I'm glad I didn't learn from you. With a bunch of newbie divers you took them down to 144m?! Let me guess, you were using single Alu80s with no pony bottles too, right? Seriously, would have thought that instructors would no better. This bounce diving thing is total madness.

:wink:

Hope you logged the dive at least - when else will you get your computer to read at that depth!

Stormdiver, i think what you've described above is a terribly dangerous approach to instructing. I'm glad I didn't learn from you. With a bunch of newbie divers you took them down to 144m?! Let me guess, you were using single Alu80s with no pony bottles too, right? Seriously, would have thought that instructors would no better. This bounce diving thing is total madness.

:wink:

Hope you logged the dive at least - when else will you get your computer to read at that depth!

:rofl3:
The narcosis was so bad I have absolutely no recollection of that dive. Sure wish I could find that hole again:D

In all seriousness (me? Serious?:eyebrow:), there may be a day when I may go to those depths. I'm only a year or 2 away from starting a Trimix course, that's why I bought a Trimix computer (HelO2).

The Achilles' Heal of most dive computers is the pressure transducer. Sounds like yours went for a dive without you. Send it back and have it looked at as there is nothing you can do.

After my replacement Gekko died the same way, our LDS told me that Suunto recently informed them that the depth sensors on the Gekkos could be damaged by exposure to pool chemicals such as chlorine and bromide. Supposedly, they have fixed this problem, but I decided to not replace the dead Gekko with another Suunto computer. The Zoop is the replacement model for the Gekko; essentially, the same housing size and shape, with some updated features.

By the way, my first Gekko died on a dive trip to Mexico, in a bay with a maximum depth of 35'. It reported that I had dived to over 300' deep for 999 minutes. I would love to be able to make a single steel 80 last even 99 minutes let alone 999, without even considering the outrageous depth reading. Unfortunately, the problem is not repairable. The LDS replaced the computer the first time, but I got a bit over a year and a half out of the second one (even though it wasn't a whole lot of dives), and I couldn't really try and push a warranty claim for it since it had been a rental unit previously.

The new computer is a brand-new, never-been-a-rental-unit, Aeris Atmos AI. Not sure I'll risk exposing it to pool chemicals, though...

Have seen a lot of people arrive on island and have this problem secondary to going to altitude as well as due to causes already mentioned. Have seen it wih Uwatec and Oceanics as well as Suunto, but, Suunto more often. As mentioned above, sometimes a good soaking is in order and does the trick but not always. Also, if the contacts on the computer remain wet (as might happen in a dive bag) and weight of other equipment is resting on the computer, ie wet wetsuit, bc with trim weights in, another gear bag on top of yours, you may find that the computer has gone diving without you or has continued a dive that you surfaced from. This used to happen with the old U.S. Divers' Monitor Computer. I believe it was made by Uwatec and it had the same kind of exposed contacts for control buttons.

Does the zoop shut off automatically? Can I power it down my self, if so, how? Thanks. I have read the manual and it does not address turning the unit off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom