Suunto's new D9 - Air/Nitrox, USB cable, digi Compass, Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just the brochures that Suunto has sent to the LDS.

It's a neat gadget, but I wouldn't consider using it. The last thing I want is to be depending on a single device, the failure of which will cause me to lose access to all of the information that I need to complete the dive.

Northeastwrecks:
Just the brochures that Suunto has sent to the LDS.

It's a neat gadget, but I wouldn't consider using it. The last thing I want is to be depending on a single device, the failure of which will cause me to lose access to all of the information that I need to complete the dive.

But aren't you relying on your brain as well? Isn't that your backup dive computer and SPG? You should have been paying enough attention to your bottom time to get an estimation of where you're at for time, and you should know your consumption enough to know where you're at with air. If you've got a backup bottom timer to give you backup depth and time you shouldn't even care that computer crapped out. (other than how much money you'll be out...)

Got some nice high-resolution images here.

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/New products/SuuntoD9.htm

I like the style of the computer. I have a feeling many people will use it as just an updated Stinger. Wireless air is a nice idea but most people will have a normal backup too.

Personally though it really seems a bit overpriced.

RSdiver:
This looks really interesting, anybody had a chance to see one yet?

Suuntos Website for D9 Dive computer
it sure is a gorgeous looking computer... useful too both on land and underwater... BUT does anyone have a price tag on this or is this one of those if-you-have-to-ask-you-can't-afford-it deals?

Jag

shugar:
BUT does anyone have a price tag on this or is this one of those if-you-have-to-ask-you-can't-afford-it deals?

I was quoted approx. $1,488 (unofficial price) by someone at Dive Supply, Bangkok, Thailand. I went with the Oceanic Atom 1.0 at half the price. The Atom works great.

shugar:
it sure is a gorgeous looking computer... useful too both on land and underwater... BUT does anyone have a price tag on this or is this one of those if-you-have-to-ask-you-can't-afford-it deals?

Jag
At the moment its only titanium cased so bloddy expensive like same as a VR3

Northeastwrecks:
I guess it part of the training that you have to repeat mantra like.

lamont:
But aren't you relying on your brain as well? Isn't that your backup dive computer and SPG? You should have been paying enough attention to your bottom time to get an estimation of where you're at for time, and you should know your consumption enough to know where you're at with air. If you've got a backup bottom timer to give you backup depth and time you shouldn't even care that computer crapped out. (other than how much money you'll be out...)

True, I do pay enough attention to have a reasonably accurate estimate of time, depth, gas, direction, etc... However, that doesn't mean that I want to lose everything at the same time.

Albion:
I guess it part of the training that you have to repeat mantra like.

Why are you assuming that my comment is a mantra? I don't like AI computers and I like redundancy. I also don't see any real reason to pay that kind of money for something that I'm going to set to gauge mode (assuming that its got one) anyway.

That said, it's a nice piece of technology. I'm sure that people who want what it provides will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom