Swift Transmitters - lesson learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thermoinclined

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently had an issue with what I thought was an orange issue. I had a small leak and assumed it was a bad ring. I replaced the ring several times and still had the leak. After numerous attempts to resolve it I finally broke down and had Shearwater look at it. Shearwater gives such outstanding service and I simply love giving them my business.

So...it turns out that I had blown the pressure seal at some point when the airflow was turned on too fast. It is a small rubber seal upper left of the photo I am posting. The one on the right you can see is missing while the one on the left is intact. The transmitter was replaced and all is good.

It's important to note that with the leak the transmitter still functioned without issue. This was the first time even my local dealer here in Ontario had experienced this and none of the shops locally in Cozumel had ever seen it. If you have a Swift this information may be of interest to you.

Attachments

• Swift Blow out.jpg
    Swift Blow out.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 163
There's something up with the overpressure valve on the SWIFT. I had the same thing happen to me during a pre-dive check. Saw bubbles, assumed it was the o-ring and when replacing that didn't work, a little soapy water helped me diagnose the problem.

I sent it to Shearwater and received a replacement within about a week.

In another thread, someone else mentioned that this happened to them as well and @tursiops said he'd heard of this happening as well.

I also had the same issue recently. I found out because the transmitter was measuring pressure even when disconnected. It had some droplets of water inside. Replaced by Shearwater.

In another thread, someone else mentioned that this happened to them as well and @tursiops said he'd heard of this happening as well.
Do a search on SWIFT and PLUG and you'll find several reports, starting in Feb 2022,

Failure of the over pressure valve has been reported for both PPS transmitters and Shearwater transmitters, perhaps more frequently with SW. I had one PPS fail due to the OPV

Recent trip to Truk (last month) there was a large number of Swifts that failed. But they also flooded and wiped them out. The over pressure plug missing was part of it.

Are there known fixes? Even if Shearwater replaces them after failure, it is a bit uncomfortable to start a trip knowing there is a significant chance of this happening half way through.

is a bit uncomfortable to start a trip knowing there is a significant chance of this happening half way through
I've not heard of a transmitter failing after being fixed/replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom