Swimmer Ear Solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't overthink "packing, transport, and containment," you don't need quarts of the stuff. I buy commercial ear beer when I need a new bottle. When empty I refill it with home-brew until I lose the bottle. Repeat. I choose based on the cap on the bottle, preferably one that is attached or at least large enough to not lose easily or fall off and leak. I avoid the ones with those dinky little caps that fit on the very tip of the spout. The small bottle will last me at least 2 weeks of diving on a liveaboard. (We each keep one in our mask box while diving.) On a liveaboard I tend to use after every dive, on dayboats I tend to use after morning dives then again after afternoon dives. I've had one external ear infection early on in my diving career before I started this, and it was very unpleasant. I've had none after doing this for like 20 years. That's not many data points but I'm sticking to it.

I guess I'm lazy. I don't see myself holding my head sideways for 10 minutes a day. Hmmmm....

A rum and coke with a straw helps :)

I use once at the end of the day. I have two brown glass bottles with droppers in them. I bring two cause one can always break or get lost. I pack them really well & bring in carry on. I use a mix of 50% vinegar, 25% alcohol & 25% distilled water.

Before a dive trip I use ear candles to remove excess wax. I've had a big glob actually go inside the middle ear and had to go to a clinic to get it flushed out.
Then to my 50/50 mix in a droper bottle I add a few drops of vegetable glycerin to avoid the whole drying/ ear beer causing problems phenomenon. I also have antibiotic on hand. I've seen to many people's expensive LOB trips ruined cause ear infections.

Before a dive trip I use ear candles to remove excess wax. I've had a big glob actually go inside the middle ear and had to go to a clinic to get it flushed out.
Then to my 50/50 mix in a dropper bottle I add a few drops of vegetable glycerin to avoid the whole drying/ ear beer causing problems phenomenon. I also have antibiotic on hand. I've seen to many people's expensive LOB trips ruined cause ear infections.

The ENT department at my hospital recommends a vinegar rubbing alcohol mix once a day.

This looks like an interesting product that uses mineral oil and tea tree oil.

EarShield | Dive Gear Express®

I suspect it might be great for multiple dives over a week. Maybe ear shield in the morning and ear beer in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom