swimming beaches ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altarose

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, Belize is on our short list for our next trip, but I have read several reports of all the beaches being poor for swimming because of bad (for swimming ) bottoms. Are they that bad, or are the conditions being exagerated. Also are there any snorkeling sites reachable from shore that are worth trying.

Depends which part of Belize you're looking at. If you're referring to Ambergris Caye, you'll find sea grass in shallow water off most beaches. Not all, and often there's a non-sea grass route to deeper water. It's not "bad" conditions, but policy to leave sea grass in situ to help the overall ecology. From AC I can think of few if any decent snorkelling areas reachable by swimming from shore, though if you go way north to Tranquility Bay you'll certainly find some there.

As regards other parts of Belize, you'll have to wait for others to respond.

The best beaches in Belize are on the Placencia Peninsula (16 miles long) so you can enjoy a beach in the village or in solitude along the peninsula. There are coral heads along the peninsula so you can do some snorkelling but you will need to get someone to tell you where they are. If you get down this way, you can call me at 610 1278 or e-mail me at ralph@splashbelize.com
Regards
Ralph

Last edited:
Hi, Belize is on our short list for our next trip, but I have read several reports of all the beaches being poor for swimming because of bad (for swimming ) bottoms. Are they that bad, or are the conditions being exagerated. Also are there any snorkeling sites reachable from shore that are worth trying.

We've been to both Placencia & Ambergris Caye. Placencia does have the best beaches but boat trip for reef. AC has decent beach in places but sea grass is everywhere but not usually in the very shallow water. Snorkeling around the piers is good for small fish, etc. Caye Caulker has The Split as a beach, nothing else, but nice laid back place.

I think it would help if you could more clearly define "snorkeling sites". Do you want to just put on fins, mask and snorkel and swim around? Or do you want to see a lot of marine life? Are you pretty experienced in the water? Children?

Placencia has nice beaches but if the trades are blowing, the vis right on the beach is pretty bad because of the chop from the winds. There are islands only about 5 miles offshore though that have nice snorkeling with live corals and lots of fish. Crawl Caye out to Mojo and that area are good. A little south of that and you're in the Laughingbird Marine Reserve.
As Peter said, Ambergris isn't bad if you go north but still, it's better off the beach. A kayak or small boat will get you out to the reef. The cuts in the reef will have the most fish but you have to watch the tides as the currents can pick up a bit.

For some real right off the beach nice snorkeling on the reef, Southwater Caye and Tobacco Cayes off of Dangriga are great. You're right on the barrier reef.

The outer atholls also offer better near shore snorkeling. Marisol Resort is right on the south tip of Glovers.

Hope this helps.....

If you are looking for one of the nicest beaches in Belize, with snorkeling right off your doorstep try www.TranquilityBayResort.com . We are located on the North end of Ambergris Caye where the Meso-American Barrier Reef touches land. There are frequently manatee in the cut right in front of the resort and the diving is a three minute boat ride, so you can spend your surface interval with your non diving Travel companions. A huge difference from some of the mainland resorts where you have to go on a full day tour just to do a two tank dive! Mainland tours are still a possibility from TBR so it is a great option if you want a little of everything. Please do take note that we are semi-secluded so if you are looking for bars and party atmosphere TBR is probably not for you.

Cheers,
Carlos

Back
Top Bottom