Swimming to the USS NH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st time I heard of the wreck was from a work collegue of mine that was a diver. He proudly displayed on his desk a piece of wood from the deck as a trophy piece. Because of folks like him and others, there is not much of a wreck. It's an historic spot that should be left as it is for others to enjoy.

Seeing as it's also illegal to take from the NH, that's not a bad idea.

Actually, as many local divers have long been happily aware, the wreck of the USS New Hampshire is one of many on the Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources' "List of Exempted Shipwrecks" and it is legal and open for "recreational diving activities, including casual artifact collection", without permit, but "major disruption" is prohibited. See links and excerpts below.

Now, as far as the "historic" nature of this spot, that's not how I would describe an irregular bottom hiding a broken, encrusted and scattered carcass of a vessel that was enroute for scrapping at the time of its accidental loss to fire and sinking. :wink:

Really, what would others "enjoy" on this historic spot if it were left untouched? Think about it a little.

Reportedly, as I have yet to dive it, rarely is any part of the wreck recognizable on the natural background. An encrusted lump of the reef might turn out to be rock or it might turn out to be a timber. One won't know until hacking into it.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of copper spikes and other fasteners are being kept from view and appreciation of the public because they are sequestered by Mother Nature, not because they have been hoarded by collectors! :wink:

A friend of mine has dove the site an estimated 300 times over the past 30 years, taking dozens of interesting artifacts, none of which has any great "historic" significance considering the thousands of identical items that still lay buried.

He has shared his collection for others to view at various local diving events.

One of his "casually collected" items, a 6" copper spike, was recently presented on a plaque to Cmdr. Mike Stevens of the newly commissioned attack submarine USS New Hampshire. The gift was warmly received by the Commander and crew and they mounted it in an upper level hallway of the sub across from the commissioning plaque. No complaints of lost history there. :)

See link and excerpts of the news story at the bottom of the page.

Next year, I plan to dive the wreck of the New Hampshire for the first time, crowbar in hand, with hopes of bringing back an artifact or two, finally releasing those artifacts to provide some of the "enjoyment" Mother Nature has prevented all these years! :D

There will be plenty left for others to enjoy, but only if you dig for them! :)

Links and excerpts follow.

Dave C

Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources
(Red highlight added for this post)

The purpose in creating an exempted shipwreck site is to preserve such sites for the continued enjoyment of the recreational diving community. Recreational diving activities, including casual artifact collection, on exempted shipwreck sites does not require a permit from the Board. However, any major disruption of the site is prohibited. The List of Exempt Shipwrecks is open to modification. The recreational diving community is encouraged to protect these sites for the continued enjoyment of all.
BUAR - Shipwreck Sites Open to Divers
Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources - Shipwreck Sites Open to Divers
The intent of creating an exempt shipwreck site is to preserve such sites for the continued enjoyment of the recreational diving community. Recreational diving activities on exempted shipwreck sites will not require a permit from the Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources. However, any major disruption of the site is prohibited. The recreational diving community is encouraged to protect these sites for the continued enjoyment of all.

The List of Exempted Shipwrecks is open to modification. The Board invites interested parties to suggest changes, provide information, or make comment on this list.

All dives are conducted at your own risk. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts accepts no responsibility for loss of any kind, including personal injury or property damage. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts assumes no liability for inaccuracies in dive information contained in these pages including site locations and dive conditions. Detailed descriptions of the shipwreck and site are given for the following vessels:
Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME

October 24, 2008 Story by Charles McMahon, Fosters.com
Sub commander gets artifact from original vessel of the same name

"KITTERY, Maine Cmdr. Mike Stevens received a much-welcomed history lesson on Thursday as an artifact derived from the original USS New Hampshire was returned to the Navy's newest submarine and its crew.

A copper spike dates back to the days of Paul Revere, but was actually recovered from the wreckage of the first USS New Hampshire, a battleship built in the mid-1800s.

The spike salvaged by divers Jack Munro, Paul Harling and Arnie Pettiglio of the Diving Locker out of Gloucester, Mass., was mounted on a plaque engraved with, "FROM THE ORIGINAL USS NEW HAMPSHIRE TO THE CREW OF THE USS NEW HAMPSHIRE (SSN-778)."

All three Gloucester men were on hand at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Thursday to present the gift to Stevens and his crew, along with getting the opportunity to take a tour of the nuclear-powered Virginia Class submarine."

"Remains of the wreckage of the original USS New Hampshire lay in 20 feet of water off Manchester, said Munro, and was excavated using a hammer and a chisel.

According to the retired Navy officer, the battleship was destroyed by a "horrific fire" and was abandoned to the elements in 1922. Munro, along with his two diving buddies, have spent years diving at the wreckage site and said they've recovered copper sheaths, various pieces of wood and bullets.

The gift presented to Stevens on Thursday received a warm welcome from the sub's crew and was placed in the upper level hallway across from the official USS New Hampshire commissioning plaque.

"This is pretty amazing," Stevens said.

Last edited:
. . . He proudly displayed on his desk a piece of wood from the deck as a trophy piece. Because of folks like him and others, there is not much of a wreck. . . .

I think that the lack of wreckage may have more to do with the fact that it was a burned wooden vessel sunken in shallow coastal waters which is subjected to the relentless and brutal pounding that our shores experience during our lovely winters. Not to mention the occasional hurricane or nor'easter.

Just a thought.:wink:

The Wreck of the NH consists of some ribs barely sticking out of a boring sandy bottom. It's not worth a swim, a scooter, or a boat dive unless you are already on a boat and it can't get anywhere else.

Really? Are you sure? There is a dive shop in the area that proudly displays spikes and stuff from it.

No, but Heather (thanks, Heather!) wrote me the other day to say the following. While the NH *is* on the BUAR "exempt list" (meaning one cannot obtain a permit to salvage the site), it is ALSO on the National Register of Historic Places (usually meaning something is protected). Placement on the NRHP precedes the BUAR list be about a decade. In any case, placement on the BUAR list is always a gray area (i.e. what constitutes disruption of a site?). That is, where does pounding/sawing off spikes fall? Being listed on both BUAR and NRHP is a further complication. In any case, I agree that plenty of people are taking artifacts from the NH. Given the historical nature of the site, seems a bit different than taking things off the Poling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom