Switching from Jacket bcd to Backplate/Wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boom! Update: got my BP/W

:D
2012_03_08_23_49_48-Copy.jpg

Took me 20 min to put together..... + 3hours

Also tested it out today, Im pretty happy........ well, Extremely happy is more like it. It makes a pretty big difference, keeping a horizontal position is a breeze and my buoyancy felt alot better then with my jacket BC. with 12Lbs on my belt using the jacket i needed to put some effort to sink with the bc empty. the new BP/W uses the 6 lb plate + 6 lb on the belt, and i sink like a rock when there's like 10 -15 % of air in the wing. should i adjust this? i kinda prefer it that way. Also... the organization of my stuff was a big improvement as well, nothing dangling a foot under me hitting things.

vlcsnap-2012-03-10-23h05m49s138.png

vlcsnap-2012-03-10-23h08m38s33.png

My only real bother was that the first stage was banging against my head throughout the dive, there came a point where i just tucked my head under it when looking forward. Should i adjust this through the harness or the mounting points on the plate to the wing, the tank was strapped down properly at the right spot as far as i can tell.

any suggestions?

vlcsnap-2012-03-11-01h31m12s68.png

You liked it and it was a big improvement, but it was bashing you in the head?? :confused::rofl3:

Lowering the tank and tightening up the crotch strap may help a lot.

You liked it and it was a big improvement, but it was bashing you in the head?? :confused::rofl3:

Lowering the tank and tightening up the crotch strap may help a lot.

I think the OP's point was that it was they were very pleased, but felt that an adjustment had to be made. I don't see why that's rediculously funny as your post implies.

By "lowering the tank," you fail to say if you mean "in the cam bands," "at the STA/bp connection (bolts)," or if you mean the whole plate... And tightening the crotch strap without first loosening the shoulder straps - assuming that both are correctly adjusted to begin with (which we haven't verified yet) - is a recipe for a lot more discomfort than a first stage that whacks the diver in the back of the head.

ermaclob, check that the tank is as far down in the cam bands as possible... And while you're at it, reweight yourself... Then let us know how that works for you and we'll take it to the next step if that doesn't solve the problem.

As you have gathered, there are really two ways that the first stage will hit you in the head. One is if the cambands are tightened on the tank in such a way that there is a lot of tank above the top one -- then the first stage is up high, and you may have problems putting your head back.

The other is where the tank is properly placed, but the harness is too loose or the crotch strap is too loose. Then the whole rig -- tank, plate and wing -- can slide up your back if you go head down at all, and the first stage will hit you in the head.

The latter is fixed by fixing the harness; the former is fixed by changing the placement of the tank in the cambands. Ideally, you should be able to reach back and touch the valve on your tank (this will let you open it yourself, if you ever end up in the water with it closed or not entirely open), which does limit the tank placement a little bit.

I recently purchased the same DRIS package and am also pleased so far, I don't want pollute your thread with my pictures so I posted my review here.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...tems/413661-review-dris-28lb-bp-w-system.html

oh and +1 on moving your top cam band up to edge of "bell portion" of the tank and tightening your crotch strap/lower your shoulder straps to get mote clearance. I sometimes had this issue with my transpac if it rode up a little too high underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom