Switching from Jacket bcd to Backplate/Wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the very reason i desided to switch was because i felt that my jacket BC was not up to the challenge of the things i wanted to do

And for you, the BP/W might just be the right choice. It's an excellent option and you can't go wrong buying one. I just don't like to see folks come on here and make statements when they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

Me neither!

...But just because you don't understand doesn't mean that the person making the statement has no idea what he's talking about. Just because you and your two buddies want to sit around on a Sunday afternoon and complain that ScubaPro Classics are "just as good" doesn't mean that you should hijack a thread and do it.

The OP seems like a smart guy. He'll figure it out. PM me if you'd like some help setting your rig up, ermaclob. I'll be happy to help.

gcarter, from post #20 here, since you've clearly lost touch with what this thread was about: DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Do your kid a favor - and your wallet too - and save yourself $225 and get this and go diving. And give your kid something that will last him a lifetime.

...And when you finally get jealous and buy one for yourself, feel free to come ask about bp/wing setups like ermaclob did. Hopefully someone will come on your thread and help you to set up... Or maybe you'll get a threesome of individuals who stand up and start screaming about how their ScubaPro Classic is just as good and can handle doubles too and that the SeaQuest Balance really WAS mentioned 25 posts back. Yey. Good on ya. Congrats.

How 'bout that backplate and wing? :)

Wow has this gotten nasty. I will say something the classic and most jacket BC's can do better than a BP/W and that is "floating on the surface". I'm not saying a BP/W will push you forward but they just don't float you as high in the water as a poodle jacket. But with that said, we call this sport diving not floating so I vote for the BP/W. The reasons I went with a BP/W are right in line with what SeeJay said. I was moving to doubles and I don't think anyone can argue that a jacket of any style can do doubles as well as a BP/W, So where does that leave me for single tank dives? I could use my Brigade that has served me well up to this point or purchase a singles wing, STA and cam bands so that I can use the BP/W for all my diving. I went with the BP/W. Why? Because I like diving the same rig all the time, I will always know where everything is when the feces hits the fan. Yes, the cost of some of the BP/W components is just stupid in my opinion, most companies charge around $70 for a STA , $180 for a BP, $425 for a single tank wing. I say shop around, there are many places that you can purchase an entire rig for less than some charge for a wing. I'm all for supporting your local dive shop but I'm not going to throw money away when they could have shopped around and brought in the brands that are less expensive.

Nicely said! :wink:

Or maybe you'll get a threesome of individuals who stand up and start screaming about how their ScubaPro Classic is just as good and can handle doubles too and that the SeaQuest Balance really WAS mentioned 25 posts back.

Apparently someone has reading comprehension issues. Apparently you are incapable of understanding that disagreement with your statement of absolutes does not constitute a dislike of BPW rigs. Apparently your preferred method of dealing with those who have the temerity to disagree with you, however slightly, is ridicule and an excess of hyperbole.

Noted.

Nobody has reading comprehension issues... You hijacked this thread and now are resorting to personal attacks.

Reported.

:confused4: this threads heading south.... these two keep going at it...... I=:boxing:I==I

just make up or agree to disagree or something :hugs:

I don't think anyone can argue that a jacket of any style can do doubles as well as a BP/W,...

Further to that, a jacket BCD is highly unlikely to be accepted for technical training. I don't know any technical instructors that would accept a jacket BCD for tech courses (above advanced nitrox).

Once you start technical diving, you'll be looking for a local group that'll take you out and mentor you - again, they might have specific requirements for a standardized approach - and it's unlikely that any standardized approach would permit a jacket BCD.

So where does that leave me for single tank dives?

It leaves you needing to get a single-tank wing (bladder only) to swap into. Add another $200-$300 to the cost, if you want both single and double tank diving from the same backplate/harness. You will get an optimum configuration for all eventualities though... and it'll last a very long time... accommodate any changes in body size/shape over time... and any small components that wear out or get broken can be replaced very cheaply.

Boom! Update: got my BP/W :D
2012_03_08_23_49_48-Copy.jpg

Took me 20 min to put together..... + 3hours

Also tested it out today, Im pretty happy........ well, Extremely happy is more like it. It makes a pretty big difference, keeping a horizontal position is a breeze and my buoyancy felt alot better then with my jacket BC. with 12Lbs on my belt using the jacket i needed to put some effort to sink with the bc empty. the new BP/W uses the 6 lb plate + 6 lb on the belt, and i sink like a rock when there's like 10 -15 % of air in the wing. should i adjust this? i kinda prefer it that way. Also... the organization of my stuff was a big improvement as well, nothing dangling a foot under me hitting things.

vlcsnap-2012-03-10-23h05m49s138.png

vlcsnap-2012-03-10-23h08m38s33.png

My only real bother was that the first stage was banging against my head throughout the dive, there came a point where i just tucked my head under it when looking forward. Should i adjust this through the harness or the mounting points on the plate to the wing, the tank was strapped down properly at the right spot as far as i can tell.

any suggestions?

vlcsnap-2012-03-11-01h31m12s68.png

Very pretty! Lucky duck! :)

The top cam band should be up as high on the tank as possible... Just at the break in the shoulder. Your pictures don't show it very well, but it looks like from #3 that the tank is up too high.

Reweight yourself. Do it the way that you were taught in PADI OW1... Empty tank, empty wing, full lungs, hold breath... All with "normal" gear. You should float at eye level... Water line should bisect your mask exactly at your eyes as you look forward.

Expect to take some weight off... It's normal. You're adjusting for the inherent buoyancy from your old BC, which isn't there anymore. :)

I know a few people who actually LIKE to dive overweighted slightly, and it's pretty common for people to dive 2 or 3 pounds overweighted... But I would recommend nailing it and leaving it there and not diving overweighted at all. That is the best method for building skills relative to buoyancy and trim... And the closer you are to correctly weighted, the easier it's going to be to nail your buoyancy and trim every time.

Back
Top Bottom