Switching from Jacket bcd to Backplate/Wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've also seen people using aluminum plates for travel, because it saves them 5 pounds in the luggage.

Have you ever weighed an aluminum plate vs a Stainless Steel plate? Aluminum is ~165 lbs / cuft and SS is 495 lbs / cuft. The typical SS plate is about 5 lbs and the typical Aluminum plate is about 2 lbs. Most SS plates are 11 gauge (.115") and most al plates are 1/8 or .125"

The net weight difference is usually a touch over 3 lbs, not 5.

Tobin

Actually, no I haven't... I was just going on recognized buoyancy differences, which are -1 for AL and -6 for SS, with a difference of around 5 pounds. But dry weight is different from buoyancy, and I'm not used to thinking in those terms. :)

I have about 10 of each in my shop... I should go weigh them, but something tells me that you know what you're talking about, so I won't waste my time. :)

I guess that shoots in the foot the argument of "for the carry-on luggage," eh? Well... About 2 pounds of it anyway. :)

Greetings,

I'm ruminating over replacing my older "Zeagle Tek" with a new system to facilitate tropical vacation diving. Currently, I use a very old Sherwood front-flotation bcd for teaching ( back flotation sucks for extended surface floating! ), and literally all my non-teaching diving I do in a dry suit, using hp steel 130 doubles, s.s. backplate & an 80lb. wing, so the Zeagle doesn't get much use. I don't want to spend a fortune for this rig as I can only get south once or twice/year. All options are on the table...suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
DSD

Greetings,

I'm ruminating over replacing my older "Zeagle Tek" with a new system to facilitate tropical vacation diving. Currently, I use a very old Sherwood front-flotation bcd for teaching ( back flotation sucks for extended surface floating! ), and literally all my non-teaching diving I do in a dry suit, using hp steel 130 doubles, s.s. backplate & an 80lb. wing, so the Zeagle doesn't get much use. I don't want to spend a fortune for this rig as I can only get south once or twice/year. All options are on the table...suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
DSD

As mentioned before if you are looking for a tropical rig, I don't think you can beet the DRIS deal for $299. SS or alu plate, STA, two metal cam bands, and 28# wing.

You mentioned in a thread that Tobin is posting in that you use an 80# wing? All I can say is "May the force be with you".

As mentioned before if you are looking for a tropical rig, I don't think you can beet the DRIS deal for $299. SS or alu plate, STA, two metal cam bands, and 28# wing.

You mentioned in a thread that Tobin is posting in that you use an 80# wing? All I can say is "May the force be with you".

Indeed, it is a bucket-full of lift , isn't it?! However, those twin 130 steel monsters are very heavy, and there might be circumstances where the lift capacity would be a real asset, so...go big or go lawn-bowling I say!

Regards,
DSD

Wow... Maybe that's why you don't like to teach in back inflates... Because the back inflate system that you're most familiar with has a whopping 80 pounds of lift, which is going to exacerbate any problem that you have with trim. For a noobie, this would spell "faceplant" every time and cause all kinds of issues.

I'm gonna +1 on Aqua-Andy's opinion... $300 for a backplate and wing? 6 pounds over your lungs topped with a 28-pound donut wing... A very simple, balanced, and streamlined system... For less than what most companies are charging for USED BCs.

For a rental or student rig, I might set up some sliders for quick "on-the-diver" adjustments... Or just opt for the "deluxe" harness. Or use Halcyon's new Infinity system. But if you teach people to use a rig like this from the outset (which is simpler than most off-the-shelf BCs), then students will learn - and excel - faster.

Edit. See below

He's using double 130's. Bet that'll top the 190.

Edit. Not! The 190 is negative 62. The double 130's are about negative 21 combined.

(just checked tech diving limited tank specs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom