Switching to BP/W - Trim Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be clear, when we are talking about leg degrees, let me wow you with my ascii art skills.

legs - body - head - arms
/__o_ ==> less than 90
|__o_ ==> exactly 90 (legs straight up)
\__o_ ==> greater than 90
___o_ ==> exactly 180 (legs straight out)

So yes, moving from 90 degrees to 135 degrees makes sense to balance me out. When I get my new fins, I will definitely try a few different positions. If I need my legs extended past 90 degrees, I expect it will take me a while to get them to "remember" that position.

That is correct. The trick is understanding what "more than 90" feels like. A lot of people think their legs are flatter than they really are so they compensate in the wrong direction. I would anticipate somewhere around 5-10 dives to get used to it.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 07:18 PM ----------

Also remember that the further your legs go back, the more you point your toes to maintain flat fins. If you are having trouble understanding the concept, lay on the ground with legs at 90 with flat feet and put a book resting on your flat feet. Move you legs back and forth between 90 and 135 without the book falling to the ground.

Ok, well it has been a few months since my original post. I have only been diving a few times since then. I did finally get my heavier fins, but needed some better boots for them. So I shopped around until I finally found some I was happy with.

I finally did a checkout dive with the new fins, and holy cow, what a difference! Almost perfect! I still have a little bit of tweaking to do, but I feel completely comfortable diving now.

I really didn't think just switching to jet style fins would make that big of a difference!

Back
Top Bottom