Sydney vs Brisbane for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I'm possibly going to be working in either Sydney or Brisbane, I might even be lucky to have a choice of destination.

I wanted to know which city (within 1 hour drive) has the better diving? I know this question might be difficult to answer as I'm sure both areas have their pros and cons but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I grew up in Brisbane but now live in Sydney. But didn't start diving until I was in Sydney. I can't comment too much on Brisbane diving, but with Sydney you are right at the ocean with plentiful options for both shore and boat dives.

Brisbane on the other hand is further from the ocean and most dives are by boat (if that matters to you or not). But it does have some good destinations not too far away and is a lot warmer all year round.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, personally. Cost of living is certainly better in Brisbane if you will be getting the same salary/wage.

I'd be basing my choice on a little more than diving locations.

if you include Byron Bay in the Brisbane option then it's a hard decision. Sydney has shore diving in the metro area, Brisbane does not. a lot of the boat diving locations are about 20min boat trip out in a fast RIB dive boat in Sydney.

also, having lived in Sydney, Adelaide and spent a significant time working in Brisbane I don't think the living costs are that much different in either city. Adelaide has the cheaper housing but other things are more expensive and share housing isn't an option for young professional people, so you spend more on rent to live alone....

each city has its give and take depending on what you like doing and what you want out of it.

Tapping in late into this thread,

Sure you find some really good dives in Sydney, and up and down the coast,

however,
Brisbane offers some exceptional variety of dive option, wreck diving, coral reefs and everything from Mantas to Sharks, winter diving ( well the cooler time of the year because we don't have a winter here in that sense ) is often blessed with better visibility, but in any case diving here is awesome.

Adelaide, if you do get a chance, has also some very very good dive sites, but generally it is colder water diving, the choice is really yours,
but (and that ist totally objective) Brisbane is the Capital of Queensland,
thus beautiful one day, perfect the next. What else is there......:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom